You will learn
Learn how to start collecting SMS consent at checkout with your WooCommerce store. This process should take around 5–10 minutes to complete.
One of the best ways to grow your SMS subscriber list is to collect consent when someone checks out on your site. Klaviyo’s integration with WooCommerce allows you to sync consent when someone enters their phone number, accepts SMS marketing, and then places an order, making it easy to grow your SMS list.
Before you begin
Note that you must:
- Have integrated your WooCommerce store with Klaviyo and are on version 2.4.0 or higher of Klaviyo’s WooCommerce plugin in order to enable consent at checkout.
- Have turned on SMS in Klaviyo.
- Create a mobile terms of service.
You can only collect SMS consent where Klaviyo SMS is available. See this article for information on where you can use Klaviyo SMS.
Turn on SMS consent at checkout for WooCommerce
The only changes you need to make to collect SMS consent at checkout are done in Klaviyo.
- In Klaviyo, click your account name in the lower left corner and then select Integrations.
- Find WooCommerce on your list of enabled integrations, then click View Settings.
- On the integration settings page, scroll down to the SMS Subscribers section and check the box Add SMS marketing consent checkbox to your checkout page.
- Select a list from the dropdown under Add sms subscribers to this list. SMS marketing via the checkbox will be subscribed to the list you select. Consent is sent to Klaviyo after the customer clicks the submit order button during checkout and the order is created in WooCommerce.
- Under SMS marketing consent label, include the text you wish to appear next to the checkbox on your checkout page.
- Next, add SMS consent disclosure text, which is required for TCPA compliance. Use the default Klaviyo consent language or add your own.
- When you are done, click Update Settings in the lower right corner.
Once you complete the steps above, your checkout page will look similar to the one below:
Consent will now sync to Klaviyo after someone:
- Inputs their phone number.
- Selects the checkbox to accept SMS marketing,
- Finishes placing their order (consent will not be synced until the order is placed).
This will help you quickly grow your SMS list so that you can expand your reach on this channel.
- Take this course on writing SMS and MMS copy.
- Learn the basics of using SMS and email together.
- See how to use popups to collect SMS consent.