When you're first getting started with Klaviyo, there are a number of adjustable settings pre-set in your account. Depending on your business's particular model and needs, you may wish to change these defaults.
These are the default settings found in Account > Settings > Email Settings, which apply to various areas of the product. These settings can be adjusted based on your preferences.
- Preview Email Prefix: If you would like to set a default prefix for the subject lines of all your preview emails, you can do so here. This makes it easier to distinguish preview emails from actual campaign or flow sends. By default, there is no prefix appended to preview emails.
- Unsubscribes (paid accounts): Choose whether you would like someone to be unsubscribed from all lists whenever they unsubscribe. This is checked by default, and it is highly recommended that you leave it checked. Learn more.
- Email to Website Tracking: Leaving this checked allows you to attribute web activity to specific emails.
- Email Conversion Window: This is the window of time during which conversions will be attributed to the most recent email sent. By default, this is set to five days. This means that if you send an email on day 1, everyone who received the email and then made a purchase within 5 days will be attributed to this email. If you are a daily sender, you should reduce this window to 1 day. Learn more.
- Smart Sending Window: Smart sending is designed to prevent you from inadvertently over-emailing people. Smart sending causes people to be skipped from receiving an email if they received another one within the smart sending window. By default, this is set to 16 hours. This means that anyone who received an email within 16 hours of your most recent send will be skipped.
- Google Analytics: Here, you can choose append GA tracking to all of you emails by default. This can also be set on a per-email basis.
- Determining Recipients: Here, you can choose to "Determine recipients at schedule time" (default) or "Determine recipients at send time." Learn more.
All default flow settings can be edited by clicking on the email component, then clicking the gear icon in the Settings area.
- Smart Sending: With the exception of the pre-built abandoned cart emails, smart sending is ON by default for all flow emails. Learn more.
- UTM Tracking: UTM tracking for Google Analytics is OFF by default for all flow emails, but this can be adjusted in your account-level settings, as outlined above.
- Additional Filters: By default no, flow emails will have additional filters.
Campaign settings are configured as you move through the scheduling wizard.
- Smart Sending: For campaign emails, smart sending is always ON by default. It is recommended that you leave smart sending on for campaigns to avoid over-emailing subscribers. Learn more.
- UTM Tracking: UTM tracking for Google Analytics is OFF by default for campaign emails, but this can be adjusted in your account-level settings, as outlined above.
- Subject Line: If you don't designate a subject line for your campaign, it will default to the name of the campaign.
- Date & Time: When scheduling a campaign, the default date/time value will be the soonest half hour in your time zone.
- Determining Recipients: As outlined above, this can be configured on an account-wide basis. When scheduling a campaign, f you haven't updated your preferences in Account > Settings > Email Settings, this will default to "Determine recipients now."
- Sending Strategies: When scheduling a campaign, Klaviyo will default to sending to everyone at the time you specify, regardless of where they live.
When you create a new list, there will be a number of default settings that can be configured in the Settings tab.
- Unsubscribes: Choose whether you or not you want people to be globally unsubscribed when they unsubscribed from a particular list. This is not checked by default, but can also be edited in your account-level settings, as outlined above.
- Single Opt-In (paid accounts): By default, all lists are double opt-in. If you're on a paid plan, you can set your list to be single opt-in instead. Learn more.
- Language: By default, all the language in the subscribe pages and signup forms affiliated with a particular list will be in English. Learn more.