When you're first getting started with Klaviyo, there are a number of adjustable settings pre-set in your account. Depending on your business's particular model and needs, you may wish to change these defaults.
General Account Defaults
These are the default settings found in Account > Settings > Email Settings, which apply to various areas of the product. These settings can be adjusted based on your preferences.
- Preview Email Prefix: Choose to set a default prefix for the subject lines of all your preview emails. This makes it easier to distinguish preview emails from actual campaign or flow sends. By default, there is no prefix appended to preview emails.
- Unsubscribes (paid accounts): Choose whether you want someone to be unsubscribed from all lists whenever they unsubscribe. This is checked by default, and it is highly recommended that you leave it checked. Learn more.
- Email to Website Tracking: Leaving this checked allows you to attribute web activity to specific emails.
- Email Conversion Window: The window of time during which conversions will be attributed to the most recent email sent. By default, this is set to five days. This means that if you send an email on day 1, everyone who received the email and then made a purchase within 5 days will be attributed to this email. If you are a daily sender, you should reduce this window to 1 day. Learn more.
- Smart Sending Window: Smart Sending is designed to prevent you from inadvertently over-emailing people. Smart Sending causes people to be skipped from receiving an email if they received another one within the Smart Sending window. By default, this is set to 16 hours. This means that anyone who received an email within 16 hours of your most recent send will be skipped.
- If you use Klaviyo to send transactional emails, you can also specify whether or not you want Smart Sending to apply to transactional emails.
- Determining Recipients: Here, you can choose to "Determine recipients at schedule time" (default) or "Determine recipients at send time." Learn more.
- Timezone: By default, your account will display all timing data in EST. If you would like to change this, navigate to Account > Contact Information > Organization and select your preferred timezone.
If you would like to configure the UTM parameters that are appended to links in Klaviyo, you can do so by navigating to Account > Settings > UTM Tracking. Here, you can add custom UTM parameters, edit the defaults that Klaviyo tracks, and toggle UTM tracking ON for all emails.
Default From Address and From Label
When you first sign up, the name and email you use to create your account are set to your default from label and your default from address.
When you create a new campaign or flow, these values auto-populate.
Going forward, you can update your default from label and from address from Account > Contact Information > Organization.
Updating your default from label or from address only affects emails going forward. If you want to update existing flows or campaigns, you have to make these updates manually.
All default flow settings can be edited by clicking on the email component, then clicking the gear icon in the Settings section.
- Smart Sending: With the exception of the pre-built abandoned cart emails, Smart Sending is on by default for all flow emails. Learn more.
- UTM Tracking: UTM tracking for Google Analytics is OFF by default for all flow emails, but this can be adjusted in your account-level settings, as outlined above.
- Additional Filters: By default, no flow emails will have additional filters.
Campaign settings are configured as you move through the scheduling wizard.
- Smart Sending: For campaign emails, Smart Sending is always on by default. It is recommended that you leave Smart Sending on for campaigns to avoid over-emailing subscribers. Learn more.
- UTM Tracking: UTM tracking for Google Analytics is OFF by default for campaign emails, but this can be adjusted in your account-level settings, as outlined above.
- Subject Line: If you don't designate a subject line for your campaign, it will default to the name of the campaign.
- Date & Time: When scheduling a campaign, the default date/time value will be the soonest half-hour in your time zone.
- Determining Recipients: As outlined above, this can be configured on an account-wide basis. When scheduling a campaign, if you haven't updated your preferences in Account > Settings > Email Settings, this will default to Determine recipients now.
- Sending Strategies: When scheduling a campaign, Klaviyo will default to sending to everyone at the time you specify, regardless of where they live.
When you create a new list, there will be a number of default settings that can be configured in the Settings tab.
- Unsubscribes: Choose whether or not you want people to be globally unsubscribed when they unsubscribe from a particular list. This is not checked by default, but can also be edited in your account-level settings, as outlined above.
- Single Opt-In (paid accounts): By default, all lists are double opt-in. If you're on a paid plan, you can set your list to be single opt-in instead. Learn more.
- Language: By default, all content in the subscribe pages and signup forms affiliated with a particular list will be in English. Learn more about how to edit language settings in your account.
Klaviyo provides a default sending number for you when you set up SMS. You can choose to add numbers; however, you will be charged for each additional number beyond the first default in your account. To add a new number, select Additional Numbers > Request Additional Numbers.
Organizational prefixes and opt-out language are optional but highly recommended and are set with defaults. Unlike email, SMS does not have a built-in way to identify who sends a message. The organizational prefix is a great way to add your business’ name to an SMS so that recipients understand where texts came from.
The default opt-out language is as follows: Text STOP to opt-out. This enables your audience to unsubscribe and maintain a positive customer relationship. You can edit this phrase, but the message must include “STOP”.
By default, all Klaviyo accounts have automatic refills for SMS billing disabled. To opt-in for automatic refills and a monthly refill limit, toggle on both options under Refill Settings. More information on how to do so and what automatic refill entails can be found in How Klaviyo Bills Customers for SMS.
SMS Smart Sending
Smart Sending allows you to limit the number of SMS messages someone will receive in a given period of time. When you add an SMS to a flow, Smart Sending is automatically enabled. Klaviyo sets a default window of 24 hours, though you can manually adjust this. To do so, go to Account > Settings > SMS Settings.
SMS Conversion Window
Navigate to your SMS Settings page and locate Tracking Settings, which details your desired conversion window for messages. This means that purchases will be attributed to an SMS message that was received and clicked if the purchase occurs within the conversion window. The Klaviyo default for this setting is 24 hours, but you can customize this number to reflect your desired conversion window. To learn more about how attribution in Klaviyo works, please read Conversion Tracking.
For more information on setting up SMS in your account, head to our article on how to set up SMS.