You will learn
Learn how to A/B test SMS campaigns and what aspects to test in this article.
With A/B testing for Klaviyo SMS, you can gain insight into your audience and use that information to optimize your messages and send times. SMS A/B testing is currently only available for campaigns, but you can test your SMS flow messages using splits.
Before you begin
Klaviyo gives you the option to either test:
- Message content (e.g., the call-to-action, emojis, and images/GIFs)
- Send times
Like with email, there are several best practices for A/B testing SMS:
- Test 1 aspect at a time
- Include a link and use the Klaviyo link shortener
- Keep any images or GIFs under 600 KB
- Test different types of SMS campaigns
- Optimize your CTA and message text
You should also test different types of SMS campaigns; e.g., product promotion, newsletter, sale, etc. What performs well for one type of message may not perform well for another. Further, a campaign might yield different results than a flow message, so do not apply the results of an A/B test to every message you send.
A/B test SMS messages
Regardless of whether you want to test message content or send times, start by following these steps:
- Click Campaign > Create Campaign > SMS.
- Choose your campaign name and recipients.
- Click Continue to Content.
- In the Message Content box, craft your message (you will not be able to create an A/B test until you add content).
- Click Create A/B Test to create a copy of your existing message (including any images, GIFs, personalization, etc.)
- Next, decide if you want to:
Test SMS content
- Click the dropdown menu for the variations.
- Choose the variation you want to change for the test.
- Change only one aspect from the original (e.g., if you add an image, do not change anything else about the message).
- Click Continue to Test Settings in the upper right.
- Review your A/B test settings (click the link to skip to that section).
If you are A/B testing content and would like to send your message based on each recipient’s timezone, set your test size to 100%. When scheduling your campaign, you’ll have the option to choose Recipient’s Local Timezone as the timezone for your send.
Test SMS send times
- Segment your audience by location or country.
- Choose which segment you want to A/B test.
Note: you should only send the A/B test to one of these segments so that you don’t risk messaging someone too late at night or early in the morning.
- Keep the message content exactly the same.
- Select Continue to Test Settings in the upper right.
- In the A/B test settings page, click Switch to testing send times.
- Choose the times you want to A/B test.
- Configure the rest of the A/B test’s settings, which is discussed in the next section.
Adjust an A/B test’s settings (optional)
You can view the settings for your test and adjust:
- The test's winning metric (click rate or placed order rate)
- What percentage of people receive each variation
- The test duration
Once a winning variation is selected, the winner will be sent to the rest of the audience.