You will learn
Learn how to transfer ownership of a Klaviyo account to a new owner.
Only account owners have the ability to transfer ownership of their account to a new owner.
Before you begin
Please note the following:
- The current account owner is the only person who can make someone an owner.
- There can only be 1 owner on an account.
- When you make another user the owner, the previous owner's role will be set to admin, and only the new owner will be able to reverse this.
If you've purchased or inherited a store from a prior owner, you must work with the prior owner to gain access to the account. If you no longer have access to the prior owner, then you must use the email address associated with the owner's account to reset the password.
To ensure the security of our customers' accounts, Klaviyo cannot transfer ownership from one person to another. Permission to transfer account ownership must come from the current account owner. In the case that you are locked out of your account, you must work with the existing owner to regain access.
Update your account’s owner
If the new owner is not yet listed as a user in Klaviyo, the current owner must first add a new user. For instructions, open the collapsible section below.
Add the new owner as a user
- Head to the account dropdown in the lower left corner of your screen.
- Click Settings.
- On the Users page, select Add New User.
- In the resulting modal, input the new user’s contact information and add them as an admin.
- To save, click Add User.
Once a user is added to an account, you can make them an Owner.
- Navigate to Settings > Users.
- Click Settings and select Users from the dropdown.
- Click into the name of the user you want to make an owner.
- Open the User Role dropdown.
- Select Owner.
- Click Update.
The new role will then be reflected in your account.
Now that there is a new owner for your account, it is their responsibility to change any necessary information to more accurately reflect the contact information for the account. The new owner should:
- Update the owner’s name on the account by heading to Account & billing > Contact Information > Personal
- Update the organization’s address, if applicable, by heading to Account & billing > Contact Information > Organization
- Remove any users who should no longer be associated with the account
- Check the Setup Wizard to see if you need to change anything with the branding of your account
If the new owner is rebranding the company altogether, there are several other design and copy best practices to reflect this change to customers. Head to Rebranding in Klaviyo for more information.