If you use Klaviyo to send SMS messages and were previously using Klaviyo to send emails, you'll notice a difference in the way profiles are displayed. Namely, if you're using SMS, it's possible that you may have some phone number-only contacts in your account. In this article, you will learn how email and phone number contacts merge into one cohesive profile, and what unique scenarios are cause for exceptions.
How SMS Updates Profiles
In general, each customer will have one, unique profile in Klaviyo. Both email and SMS information will be found here so you can effectively streamline communication and store all data in one place.
How Profiles Merge
If you use Klaviyo to send emails, then you likely already have a number of profiles in your account. When a subscriber opts in to receive SMS in addition to email, their profile will update automatically and their consent status will appear in the Channels box.
This means that, if you have someone's email address and they later provide their phone number as well, a duplicate profile will not be created (unless one of the scenarios outlined below occurs). Instead, one profile will house all of their contact information and provide a record that they consent to receive emails and text messages from your business.
Profiles will also merge when Klaviyo learns that an email address and phone number are connected to the same profile. For instance, if a phone-only profile adds an email that matches an existing email-only profile, the two will merge.
If you use Klaviyo solely for SMS, your customer profiles will be uniquely identified by their phone numbers until you start collecting email addresses.
Instances When Profile Information Does Not Merge
Some scenarios in which a customer's contact information will not merge into one profile, or will merge in a way you may not expect, are listed below:
- If an email subscriber opts in to SMS with a phone number that does not already exist in Klaviyo in an accepted format, but no email is attached to that action, a new profile is created.
- Then, if they check out using their email (which already exists as a separate profile) and consents to SMS with that same phone number, the two profiles will not merge automatically.
- If a customer with SMS consent makes a purchase and inputs a different phone number at checkout, that new number will override the information from the previous number on file (if there was one).
- If you don’t have consent for the new number, but had it for the previous one, it will wipe consent from that profile and replace the contact information with the newly established number. You will then need to regain consent with their new phone number.
- If a profile adds their phone number by subscribing via a keyword or a click-to-text banner in an email or targeted form.
Keep these one-off situations in mind as you collect SMS information that will merge with email in a profile.
Active Profiles and Billing
If you use Klaviyo to send SMS messages to your subscribers, you may have some phone number-only profiles. While these profiles appear as active profiles in your account, they do not count towards your email billing plan. They only count toward your SMS plan.
For more information on billing, check out How Klaviyo Bills Customers for SMS.