A campaign is a one-time send to a pre-established target group of contacts -- think regular newsletters, sale announcements, or promotional sends. An individual campaign can be created and sent immediately, or a campaign can be prepared and then scheduled to send at a later time.
In this article, we cover the basics of campaigns.
Before you start sending you need the following things:
- Create a target list or dynamic segment of who you want to target.
- We highly recommend spending time to create a series of base templates that you can then leverage for all future campaigns -- this can be a big time saver (think a base Newsletter template set with your logo, colors, header, footer, and preferred layout).
Campaign vs. Flow
In Klaviyo lingo, it is important to distinguish between flows and campaigns.
Send to a target list that you build in advance
Send one or more automated emails, curated based on certain triggers and filters
Manually created and scheduled
Triggered every time a certain behavior occurs
Example: monthly emails for a newsletter list, or a flash sale announcement to existing customers
Example: automated "Welcome Email" that sends to new subscribers immediately after they signup
Building a New Campaign
Klaviyo’s campaign wizard guides you through the steps for creating your campaign. First, navigate to the Campaigns tab and click Create Campaign.
The Campaign Wizard takes you through the following three screens:
- Names & Recipients
- Message Content
- Review & Send
Choose Name & Recipients
The first screen of the wizard covers the basic settings of your campaign, who you send to, and details about how you send.
- Name your campaign and add a tag if you would like.
- Choose an existing list or segment to target. For example, you may want to send a campaign to your Newsletter list or you may want to send a campaign to a list with all customers that have two or more purchases.
- If you want to send to multiple lists/segments, select which lists/segments you would like to include or exclude. Learn more about Klaviyo's multi-list sending feature.
- Make note of the expected recipient count - this estimate removes duplicate profiles, excluded profiles, and suppressions.
- Enable or disable smart sending.
- Enable or disable Google Analytics tracking.
Create Campaign Content
The second screen in the wizard is where you build your email template. Create a new template or choose a template from the template library.
- Double-check the From, Reply-To Email, and Subject lines. These are populated based on your organization's information. You can also add a different Reply-To email address if you would like responses to go to a different inbox (for example, if you want your Klaviyo email to come from a personal email but responses to go to a support inbox).
- Select how you would like to create campaign content:
- Rich HTML / Drag & Drop
Our email editor automatically optimizes your email for mobile and makes it easy to create complex email layouts.
- Text Based / Simple
If you'd like to send a text only email, this is the option you're looking for. This is a good option for sending an email that looks like it came directly from you rather than your organization.
- Use Template from Library
If you've already created your own base template, newsletter template, or snack template, this is where you should start. You can also choose a template from the Klaviyo template library.
- HTML Editor
If you have your own HTML email template you're importing, or you want to code an HTML template from scratch, this is the option to choose.
Schedule and Send Your Campaign
The third and final screen of the wizard allows you to review, schedule, and send your campaign.
Note: At this step in the wizard you can choose to add a variation to your email if you'd like to AB test your campaign.
First, click Review & Send Campaign.
Next, review all sections and click Schedule or Send.
Next, schedule or send your campaign.
Select when you would like to send your campaign and it will be queued and sent within a few minutes after the time you set. You can either send immediately or send at a later date and time. During high-volume sending periods you may see a 5-10 minute delay when scheduling a campaign to send immediately.
Determine Recipients at Send Time
The option to "determine recipients at send time" does the following:
- Klaviyo will take a new snapshot of your target list or segment right before the scheduled campaign sends. This ensures that everyone who is added/removed from the list or segment between the scheduling and send time correctly receives or does not receive the email.
- Learn more about determining recipients at send time.
If you want to determine recipients at send time, select a time and timezone when you would like your email to send. Next, check the box to determine recipients at send time.
Deliver Message According to Recipients' Timezones
If enabled, this option will send your campaign to each recipient based on their timezone. If we're not sure of a recipient's timezone, we'll send the campaign based on the timezone you select at the account level. If the scheduled send time has already passed in a recipient's timezone, you can choose one of two options: either send the campaign to those recipients immediately or wait until the scheduled time on the following day to send to those recipients. If you choose to send immediately, you cannot change the send time after you schedule the campaign. Also, note that you cannot send according to timezone if you're A/B testing the campaign.
When you choose to Send based on each recipient's timezone, you cannot also Determine recipients at send time.
If you would like to split your email send into smaller batches and send over a length of time, you can use batch sending. This can be useful if you are worried that the email might drive a huge influx of traffic to your website that you're unprepared to handle. You cannot use batch sending if you're A/B testing the campaign.
To do this, select the option Gradual send over several hours and edit the campaign sending as you see fit. When you're done, select Schedule.
Smart Send Time
Smart Send Time allows you to put your business data to work and find the optimal time to email your customers to maximize open and click rates using a model developed by our data science team. Head to our article on Getting Started with Smart Send Time for more information.
- New or featured
Highlight curated products that are new or in-season, or feature what's new with your company or organization.
Your business or organization is one of many out there. Explaining what makes it unique, and featuring the people "behind the brand", can build brand loyalty and community by helping your subscribers feel more connected to what you do and who you are.
- Highlight interesting content
Provide a short lead into a recent blog post, or another piece of content you’ve created, and send subscribers a link to read more. Developing your company's voice as a relevant go-to source for new and interesting content in your industry is a great way to keep subscribers and customers coming back for more.
Announce a special promotion or sale your business is offering. Even better if it's exclusive to email subscribers -- creating a sense or urgency and exclusivity drives action.
Learn more about campaigns by checking out the articles in our Campaigns section, or reading the recommendations below.
- Updating the scheduled send time of a campaign or canceling the campaign
- Review campaign analytics
- A/B Testing a Campaign