As of April 2019, all existing folders in Klaviyo have been converted to tags. The tagging system allows you to label campaigns, flows, lists, and segments with tags. Tags can be sorted into tag groups; for example, you may tag a campaign with "US," while the tag group it falls under is "Country."
The tagging system helps you organize items across a number of different product areas, streamlining your workflow and making it easier for different teams to operate simultaneously within Klaviyo. The following are some use cases for tags:
- Tags can denote which stage a communication or list/segment is in the marketing funnel. For example, you may have a number of flows aimed at prospects, and some aimed instead at existing customers.
- Tags can help you keep your holiday marketing campaigns, lists, and segments organized and accessible. This way, you don't have to search back through pages of lists and segments to find groups that you only email during certain holidays.
- If you have multiple departments and/or users within your organization using Klaviyo, tags delineate team and/or individual responsibilities.
- If you send different types of campaigns to different lists or segments, you may want to tag them to stay organized. For example, you may want to separate product releases, sales, and announcements.
You can view a list of your existing tags in the Tags tab. If you haven't created any tag groups, all of your tags will be listed together, however, once you create your first tag group, you will see a default tag group called Ungrouped Tags appear. This is where uncategorized tags will be stored. Please note that ungrouped tags can't be added to a tag group retroactively, so if you would like a tag to be stored in a tag group, you must create the group first.
Tags can be shared across items, meaning a flow, campaign, and segment could all have the same tag. Additionally, items can have multiple tags.
There are three ways to create a new tag:
- Navigate to the Tags tab and select Create Tag. Here, you will be able to name your tag in the modal that appears.
- When tagging an item (campaign, flow, list, or segment), you can create a new tag by typing in the name and selecting Create new tag. A tag created this way will be ungrouped.
- When creating a tag group, you will be prompted to create tags within this group. For this process, see below.
To edit or delete a tag, navigate to the Tags tab and find the tag that you would like to change. Here, you can edit the name of the tag by clicking Edit, or delete it but selecting Delete from the dropdown.
Managing Tag Groups
By default, there will be one tag group in your account called Ungrouped Tags. However, until you create your first custom tag group, you will not see this appear as a tag group in the Tags tab.
To create a new tag group, navigate to the Tags tab and select Create Tag Group. Here, you can do the following:
- Name the tag group. Please note that tag group names cannot contain the ":" character.
- Create the tags within the tag group. Here, you can only create new tags -- if you already have existing ungrouped tags, you cannot categorize these retroactively.
- Only allow one tag from this group to be assigned to an item. This ensures that all tags within the group are mutually exclusive. For example, let's say you have a tag group called "Country" that contains many different countries, and you have this option selected. In this case, you would not be able to add multiple Country tags (US, CA, etc.) to the same item. If you select this option, this cannot be undone, and tags within an exclusive tag group cannot be moved to other tag groups.
To edit or delete a tag group, navigate to the Tags tab and find the tag group that you would like to change. Here, you can edit the name of the tag group by clicking Edit from the dropdown or delete it by selecting Delete from the dropdown. Please note that deleting a tag group will also delete all of the tags within the group.
Add a Tag to a List or Segment
You can add a tag to one or more lists/segments by clicking the checkbox beside the name and selecting Add tags from the Add/Remove Tags dropdown.
You can also add a tag to a list or segment as you are naming it.
Add a Tag to a Campaign
You can add a tag to a new campaign by selecting the tag from a dropdown on the first page of the campaign scheduler.
Alternatively, click the checkbox beside one or more campaign names and select Add tags from the Add/Remove Tags dropdown. This is also how to add tags to a campaign that has already been sent.
Add a Tag to a Flow
You can add a tag to a flow by selecting Edit from the dropdown beside the name of the flow. Here, you can change the name of the flow or add a tag.
If you're creating a flow from the Flow Library, you can add a tag on the preview modal before you copy it into your account.