You will learn
Learn about profiles, including how to find them, how to understand their data, and best practices for contacting them in Klaviyo. Profiles are used to keep track of all the information you have about your customers and prospects, including what they've done (through events or metrics) and general data about them (through profile properties).
About profiles in Klaviyo
Klaviyo maintains a complete record of contact for each person in your account. This means that we create and maintain a single profile for each and every one of your contacts. If, for example, someone is part of three different lists, they won't exist three times in your account. This person will simply have one dedicated profile where we record that they are part of these three lists.
Access a profile in Klaviyo
- Search for specific contacts using the search bar in the upper left-hand corner of your account
- You can use either the contact's name or email in the search bar
- Review the unique profile in Klaviyo to see:
- The full timeline of what the profile has done (emails opened and clicked, website activity, support requests, purchases, and more)
- Relevant personal information (basic contact information, referral data, etc.)
Find a profile ID
Every profile has a unique ID that you can find by navigating to the profile and looking at the URL. Look for the 26-character ID, as illustrated in the image below.
That being said, some older profiles in your account may have a six-character ID if you acquired them prior to this change in the platform. This ID is still correct and unique to their profile.
Delete or merge profiles
Deleting a profile will remove the profile from Klaviyo completely and permanently delete all data associated with the profile. We recommend suppressing profiles rather than deleting them, as you can still access and learn from the data of suppressed profiles. Deleted profile data cannot be recovered.
As for merging, this will result in only one profile, with one email address, for the contact. The unique ID of the most recently updated profile will be maintained.
Note that neither deleting nor merging profiles can be reversed.
- Navigate to an individual's profile
- Scroll to below the Information section
- Click either Delete Profile or Merge Profile
For more information, head to Delete, Merge, and Export a Profile.
Review the profile page
There are three main areas of a Klaviyo profile, which are denoted by the icons in the upper right:
View contact information and other important details for this profile as well as a live feed of activity, filterable by metric
View all sent, scheduled, and skipped messages in a contact's personal inbox
Visualize a contact's engagement by exploring dynamic charts and graphs
Understand the profile tab
This tab is what you'll see when you first navigate to a profile. Here, you'll see:
- A profile's activity feed and metrics
- Predictive analytics for the profile*
- Lists and segments the profile belongs to
- Channels a profile has opted into
- Contact and information
- Coupons a profile received
Activity feed and metrics
When you integrate Klaviyo with your day-to-day business tools, we will generate a live feed of what’s happening with your customers, subscribers, and site visitors. Each account has an all-encompassing Activity Feed that can be found by navigating to Dashboard > Activity Feed.
However, each individual profile features a similar activity feed to capture a timeline of their interactions with your business. While the default view includes All Metrics, you can choose to only view activity around a specific metric from the associated dropdown instead.
At the top of a profile, you will see a Metrics section. Here, you can also adjust which metrics you see on the profile. This section will quantify metric activity from the last 30 days as well as all-time.
Please note that you will only see this section if:
- At least 500 customers have placed an order. This does not refer to active profiles, but rather the number of people who have actually made a purchase with your business. If this section is on a profile but is blank, this means we don't have enough data on that individual to make a prediction.
- You have an ecommerce integration (e.g. Shopify, BigCommerce, Magento) or use our API to send placed orders.
- You have at least 180 days of order history and have orders within the last 90 days.
- You have at least some customers who have placed 3 or more orders.
The Predictive Analytics section of a profile displays the contact's customer lifetime value (CLV). Specifically, this section displays:
- Historic CLV
- Predicted CLV
- Total CLV
- Churn Risk Prediction
- Average Time Between Purchases
- Order Timeline
Read more about the Predictive Analytics section including definitions of specific fields and information on how they are calculated in our Guide to Klaviyo's predictive analytics.
Lists & segments
Below the Predictive Analytics section, you will see a Lists & Segments section that shows all the lists and segments someone is a member of.
For each list, you can manually unsubscribe the profile by clicking remove. It is not possible to manually remove an individual from a particular segment because segments are dynamic and constrained by a set of conditions.
If you hover over any list or segment in this section, a small tooltip will appear that displays the date they were added.
The Channels section reflects whether or not a customer has consented to receive marketing communication from your business, and if so, what communication channel (i.e. email, SMS, push) that consent pertains to.
If your customer has opted in, a green checkmark will appear in the top right corner of this section with details as to which lists they are subscribed, when they subscribed, and where they subscribed.
If a customer unsubscribes from one list, they will have a green check and a greyed out circle.
If a customer has been globally suppressed, there will be a red X and circle.
Additionally, the valid tokens for push notifications will be below the content information on the profile.
For more information, head to Understanding consent in profiles.
Contact and information sections
The additional sections you'll see when checking out someone's profile are Contact and Information. The Contact section is automatically populated by Klaviyo.
To update someone's general contact and social information, click Edit. However, you won't be able to edit someone's location or timezone information. Learn more about how Klaviyo populates location information and keeps it up-to-date.
The Information section is also automatically populated. Here, you will find:
- Klaviyo-assigned First Active and Last Active dates
- Any custom properties that have been added to the profile
- How They Found You information that is populated by Klaviyo based on available web tracking data
Head to our article on The Information Section of a Profile, for more information.
The Coupons section of a profile contains information about coupons and coupon codes that a customer has received. This section won't appear if a customer has not received any coupons.
If you need to resend a coupon to a customer, you can use the information in this section to resend the same coupon or unique coupon code.
Review a profile's messages
If you click into Messages in the upper right-hand corner of a profile, you will be taken to their personal inbox in Klaviyo. Here, you can review all scheduled, sent, and skipped emails.
To design and send a personal email to a profile select Send Email.
There are three tabs within a profiles personal inbox:
- Sent: shows the status of each email, as well as whether an email has been opened or clicked
- Scheduled: shows the Scheduled At date as well as the email's status
- Skipped: shows all emails that were initially queued up for this person to receive, but did not send; you will see a Processed At date, as well as a status that reveals why the email was skipped
You can easily differentiate campaign and flow messages here. Campaigns will be identified by the campaign name; for example, "Test nice reply from phone 3" in the image above. For flows, you will see the format "Flow Name / Flow Email Name" where both are hyperlinked.
Analyze a profile via charts
If you click Charts in the upper right-hand corner of a profile, you will be taken to a section where you can more deeply analyze a contact's engagement around available metrics. This chart view has the following features:
- Metric adjuster
Filter your view to see data around any metric you choose
- Timeframe selector
Select your own timeframe for analysis by picking a start and end date
- Scale view
Adjust your chart to show daily, weekly, or monthly data
- Advanced filters
Explore Advanced Filters to refine the data you see around your selected metric