The Information section of a Klaviyo profile contains the following information:
- The Klaviyo-assigned First Active and Last Active dates
- How they found you
- Custom properties
- The date and time the profile was created
- The date and time the profile was updated
In this article, you will learn more about each subsection within the Information section of a profile.
First Active and Last Active
The First Active property is automatically created for each contact in Klaviyo the first time that they proactively engage with your account. The date recorded represents the first time the contact was "active" — i.e. opened or clicked an email, visited your website, made a purchase, etc.
A few things to note:
- If someone is manually uploaded to a list, this will not set the First Active date. Even if this person receives an email, this property will not be created. Only if this person engages with an email, or takes an action that is tracked by Klaviyo, will this property be set.
- If someone first engaged with your organization before you created your Klaviyo account, but Klaviyo was able to sync historical activity through an integration (with your previous ESP, for example), we will set the First Active date to align with the contact's earliest recorded activity. This means it's possible for someone's First Active date to be before their Profile Created date.
The Last Active date will always represent the date of the most recent recorded activity the contact has taken.
How They Found You
Klaviyo will only populate a profile with How They Found You information if web tracking has been set up on your website.
The person either entered your site URL directly in their browser or, more likely, we don't know where the person came from
The person came from another website by clicking a link on that site
The person either came to your site from a search engine or you'll see a custom value here if there was a "utm_campaign" set in the URL the person landed on
In the example above, this particular contact was referred from Google — meaning they landed on the website after clicking through a Google search.
Campaign, Medium, Content, and Term fields will be populated appropriately if an individual ended up on your website after clicking through a campaign where Google Analytics tracking was added to links within the email:
- Campaign, utm_campaign
Name of campaign
- Medium, utm_medium
The channel through which you sent this content; i.e., email or SMS
- Term, utm_term
This is an optional UTM parameter that marketers can set to track paid search terms
- Content, utm_content
This is an optional UTM parameter that marketers can set to differentiate between ads
If you use Klaviyo to automatically add Google Analytics tracking to links within a campaign or flow email and someone clicks through one of these emails and lands on your website for the first time, we will track Source, Campaign, and Medium:
Name of the list or segment the campaign was sent to
The channel through which you sent the campaign or flow (e.g., email)
The campaign name (Campaign ID)
The First Page property will contain the URL of the first page the contact visited after navigating to your website.
The Custom Properties section shows any custom properties that are added to a profile. You can use custom properties to collect more information about your customers and segment them based on this information.
For more information about custom properties, head to our Guide to Properties.
Profile Updated & Profile Created
The Profile Created date will represent the date a profile was created. As explained above, this date may or may not align with the First Active date:
- If someone engages with your organization for the very first time and this activity is synced in real-time to Klaviyo, the First Active and Profile Created dates will be identical.
- If someone engages with your organization for the first time before you start using Klaviyo, but when you set up your Klaviyo account you sync or import historic data, we will back-date a contact's First Active date if relevant historic data is available. The Profile Created date, however, will still reflect the date this person's profile was created by Klaviyo.
- If someone is imported into Klaviyo, but we have no activity tracked for them, there will be a Profile Created date, but no First Active date.
The Profile Updated date and time indicates the last time the profile itself was updated, and the Last Active date and time matches the time of the latest event on the profile.