You will learn
Learn how to integrate ShipStation with Klaviyo. This integration syncs order creation and shipping status data every 30 minutes from ShipStation. After completing the steps in this article, you'll be able to personalize and target emails based on shipping events and order statuses tracked by ShipStation.
Enable the ShipStation integration
- Navigate to your ShipStation account
- Click the gear in the upper right hand corner
- Go to Account > API Settings
- If you previously generated an API Key and API secret, they will be displayed here; copy these for use in Klaviyo
- If you have yet to generate an API Key and API secret, click Generate API Keys; copy the new key and secret for use in Klaviyo
- Head over to your Klaviyo account and navigate to the Integrations tab
- Click All Integrations and search for ShipStation
- Click Add Integration
- Enter the API key and API secret generated in ShipStation
- Click Connect to ShipStation
- If your integration was successful, you’ll see a green success message above the Integration Settings section.
Monitor the Klaviyo sync
The ShipStation integration syncs data from all of your ShipStation stores, allowing you to filter segments and flows based on the store name, and automatically syncs the last 90 days of data. After the initial integration is complete, a periodic sync runs every 30 minutes, looking for status updates to create additional events in Klaviyo.
To check on your integration sync:
- Navigate to Analytics > Metrics
- Click the All Metrics dropdown, and select ShipStation
- Check to see if ShipStation events are being synced to your Klaviyo account by looking at one of the ShipStation metrics - for instance, Order Awaiting Shipment - and clicking on the Activity Feed icon for the metric
- If your integration has begun syncing data, you will start to see events being added to this Activity Feed
- When your ShipStation integration has a green border in your account's Enabled Integrations list, your historic data sync has completed
Klaviyo imports all of your ShipStation data. To verify this, compare the number of shipped orders added to Klaviyo on a particular day with the number of orders shipped in ShipStation and confirm they match.
- In Klaviyo, navigate to Analytics > Metrics, and click into the Order Shipped metric
- This will take you to the metric chart page which, by default, will show you the last 30 days of data
- Hover over yesterday's datapoint or look in the table of data below the chart to see how many payments occurred yesterday and compare it to the data you see in ShipStation
If the data doesn’t match, the issue is most likely that the timezone in your Klaviyo account doesn't match the timezone in your ShipStation account. To check your timezone setting in Klaviyo:
- Go to Account Settings > Contact Information > Organization
- At the bottom of this page, you can view and update your timezone
ShipStation syncs the following metrics to Klaviyo:
- Order Awaiting Shipment
- Order Awaiting Payment
- Order On Hold
- Order Shipped
- Order Canceled
For more information on specific order statuses that are tracked in ShipStation, check out ShipStation's documentation.
Order Awaiting Shipment
This metric is tracked when an order is ready to ship in ShipStation.
Order Awaiting Payment
This metric is tracked when an order is unpaid and marked as Awaiting Payment in ShipStation. Not all stores support unpaid orders. When an order is paid for, either the store will send updated information about the order to ShipStation or you can manually mark the order as paid, and then ShipStation will update the order status to Order Awaiting Shipment. This event will then be synced to Klaviyo.
Order on Hold
This metric is tracked when you use the Hold action in ShipStation to place an order on hold. This is useful for pre-orders, delaying orders with out-of-stock products, or delaying orders for any other reason. Orders can be set to On Hold until a set date or after a specified number of days.
This metric is tracked once a label is printed for an order, at which time ShipStation moves the order to the Shipped status. Orders will move here when an outbound shipping label is generated, but will not receive this status if manually marked as shipped or marked as shipped by a shipping third party.
This metric is tracked when an order is canceled in ShipStation.
You have completed integrating with ShipStation and have verified your ShipStation data in Klaviyo. Now, you'll be able to personalize and target emails based on shipping events and order statuses tracked by ShipStation.