You will learn
Learn about profile properties, including how they are used to store information about your subscribers and how to add properties in a variety of ways like using a signup form, through an integration, or by uploading a CSV file. In this guide, you will learn how to use a CSV file to upload profile properties.
This method of adding profile properties to Klaviyo requires that you upload contacts to a list. If your file includes contacts that have not explicitly opted in to email or SMS marketing, exercise caution to ensure you don’t send those contacts unwanted messages, as this can hurt your deliverability. Learn more about deliverability.
Table of contents
To import profile properties using a CSV upload:
Create a CSV file
The first step in uploading profile properties to Klaviyo is creating a correctly-formatted CSV file containing those properties. Use any spreadsheet tool to create your file, like Excel or Google Sheets.
- In your CSV, label the first row of the first column Email
- In the first cell of the following columns, add the name of the profile properties you'd like to upload (e.g., First Name, Last Name)
- In the following rows, add in the email address and profile properties you'd like to upload
Make sure that all the data in your spreadsheet is in a format that can be read by Klaviyo. Learn more about data types in Klaviyo, including how to format them.
Upload profile properties
Once your CSV file is ready to upload:
- Navigate to the Lists & Segments tab in Klaviyo
- Click Create List / Segment, then choose List to create a new list
- If you’re using an existing list rather than a new list, you can upload contacts by clicking Manage List in the top-right corner, then Import Contacts
- Click Upload Contacts
- Select the CSV file you just created in the upload modal
- On the Import Review page, select a Klaviyo or custom property under Klaviyo Field
- Select a data type for each property
- If you are uploading a brand-new profile property that doesn’t yet exist in Klaviyo, enter the property you’d like to use, then click Create option from the dropdown menu
- Once you’ve reviewed and finalized your selections, click Start Import
Your import may take anywhere from a few seconds to a few hours, depending on the size of your list. You can navigate away from the page and the upload will continue.
Having trouble with your upload? Head to Klaviyo’s guide, How to Troubleshoot List Imports.
Review your import
Once the import is complete, open up your list and click on any profile. Navigate to the Information section of their profile. Here, you’ll find the properties you just uploaded. Many will appear under Custom Properties, but note that some default Klaviyo properties, like phone number or first and last name, will appear in the Contact section.
In order to maintain strong deliverability and comply with data privacy and marketing laws, make sure you only market to people who have explicitly opted in to email or SMS marketing. If the list you uploaded contains profiles who haven’t opted in, we recommend taking precautions to ensure you don’t reach out to them accidentally. For example, you could:
- Review your segment definitions to confirm only opted-in subscribers are included.
- Delete the list once the upload is complete. To delete the list, but keep the profiles, navigate to the Lists & Segments tab. Locate the list you just created and click the more options icon (three vertical dots). Click Delete.
To maintain the security of your data, Klaviyo's support team is not able to open your CSV files. For further assistance troubleshooting a list import, contact the support team with a detailed description of the problem and screenshots of the error you encounter.