Sending to multiples lists allows you to hone the sending pool of your campaign by including recipients from specific lists while excluding recipients from others.
How to Send to Multiple Lists
- Create a new campaign.
- When prompted to choose a list to send to, you will see the option to Include or Exclude another list.
Any duplicate names in the lists and/or segments you select will automatically be deduplicated so that none of your users receive the campaign more than once.
- When you click to include another list or segment, another dropdown menu will appear prompting you to select which additional list/segment you would like to send to.
- You can exclude certain lists or segments by clicking on the Exclude link and then selecting which lists or segments that you want to make sure do not receive your campaign.
Calculating Expected Recipients
Below the lists and segments you've chosen for inclusion and exclusion, you will see a section labeled Expected Recipients. The number shown estimates the number of people who will receive your campaign. When calculating this number, we do the following:
- Add together all profiles that exist in the lists/segments you've chosen to include
- Subtract duplicate profiles that may exist in multiple lists/segments you've chosen to include
- Subtract profiles within any included groups that also exist in lists/segments you've chosen to exclude
- Subtract unsubscribed contacts and global suppressions from all included lists and segments
Klaviyo automatically skips suppressed profiles at send time, so by excluding these profiles from our expected recipient calculation, you are able to see an accurate count of who will receive your campaign.
If none of the lists you have chosen to exclude contain any recipients that are also on lists chosen to be included, you won't see the Expected Recipient be dramatically different from the number of members in the included lists.
Why Send to Multiple Lists?
There are many reasons to send to multiple lists. Here are just a few:
- Flash Sale Announcement: Notify segments of your customer-base in advance for promotions like flash sales. For example, VIP customers that get rewarded with special updates. You can send one campaign to your VIP customers, and a second campaign to the rest of your subscriber list excluding the VIP segment you already targeted.
- Product Launch: If you are preparing to launch a new product or collection, you may want to send one campaign to several different existing lists/segments in your account. By including multiple lists in one send you don't need to worry about combining lists in advance of a big send.
- Holiday Marketing: Stay targeted and focused on engagement during the holidays. For example, once someone purchases during the holidays, your emails to them should change; to avoid turning off recent customers, create a segment of those that have purchased in the last 14 days and exclude this group from your generic holiday sends.
- Engaged Subscribers Only: Create a segment of inactive subscribers and launch a re-engagement effort; while you do this, you'll want to exclude this inactive segment from your regular campaign sending.