For every list in Klaviyo, you can access a growth report that captures data regarding your list's growth over time. Use this tool to monitor business trends and expand your business. In this article, you will learn how to access and analyze your list growth report.
Accessing Your List Growth Report
To access your list growth report, head to your Lists & Segments tab and navigate into a given list. Then, click Reports > Growth Report.
List growth reporting is only available for lists, not for segments. If you only see Engagement Report in your Reports dropdown, that means it is a segment. To find a list and generate a growth report, navigate back to your Lists & Segments tab and filter by Lists in the All Types dropdown menu.
Analyzing the Source of Your List Growth
Klaviyo will assign all list subscribers a $source property that reflects how the contact was added to your list. When someone unsubscribes, we will also track how they unsubscribed.
The growth report feature was launched in March 2016 — all subscribers prior to launch will have a signup source of Unknown.
While it's possible to customize a given form's $source value (see below), we will otherwise track and use the following default values:
Default Subscribe Source Values
- Unknown: Source is non-identifiable
- Back in Stock: Added via subscribing for back in stock notifications
- Modal: Added via a popup form
- Fly Out: Added via a flyout form
- Embedded Form: Added via an embedded form
- Subscribe Page: Added via a subscribe page
- Manually Initiated: Added via quick add or uploaded from a CSV file
- Integration: Added via opting in through an integration
- API: Added to a list via the Klaviyo API
Default Unsubscribe Source Values
- Unknown: Source is non-identifiable
- Manually Initiated (formerly Klaviyo UI): Manually cleaned/removed from the list
- Subscribe Page: Unsubscribed via an unsubscribe page
- Integration: Unsubscribed via opting out through an integration
- Hard Bounce: The email address hard bounced
- Spam Complaint: The recipient marked your email as spam
- Invalid Email: The email address was not a valid address
- API: Unsubscribed from a list via the Klaviyo API
Customizing a Form's Sign Up Source
If you're using a legacy form and want to customize the $source property, you can do this by making a small adjustment in your form's code.
List Growth Charts and Graphs
List Size Graph
The list size graph tracks absolute list growth over time. You can adjust the timeframe at the top of the report and use this graph to visualize trends in your list's growth. When you hover over a bar in the graph, a popup will provide the precise plotted list size count as well as the percent change from the previously plotted point.
If a list is actively growing (e.g., via an integration), you may sometimes notice a discrepancy between the total number of list members displayed in the top menu bar and the total number of list members as represented in the list size chart. This report is almost real-time, meaning it usually matches the list count exactly. In a few cases, however, calculations may be delayed by a few minutes.
Growth Breakdown Graph
The growth breakdown graph shows both positive and negative list size trends over time. The bars that you see represent subscribes and unsubscribes tracked for each month.
When you update the date range on the list growth report, the Source Table will update to reflect your date range. The totals section on the far right of the Source Table will span the entire date range. In comparison, the rest of the table will only up to the 6 most recent time intervals from your date range. It will not show all time intervals.
This graph is unique in that it also shows the visual breakdown of each trend in terms of subscriber source. If you hover over each color within a single bar in this graph, a popup will reveal the corresponding source.