When syncing or creating a new profile, Klaviyo determines the location and timezone information based on the profile's billing address. If a profile hasn't purchased, location and timezone are determined based on IP geolocation. In this article you will learn where to find location information for a profile, how it is used and updated, and more.
Find Location Information in a Profile
To find the location of a profile, head to the Profiles tab. In the right-hand panel, look for the Contact section. In that section, you will see information for both location and timezone. Below is an example of how location and timezone are displayed on a profile page in Klaviyo.
How Locations are Used and Updated in Klaviyo
A profile's location and timezone are used when sending campaign emails based on recipients' timezones, creating location-based segments, or adding location/timezone-specific filters to flows.
Here is an example outline of how a profile's location and timezone information are set and updated:
- A profile opens their first email (but has never purchased): Klaviyo uses IP geolocation to update timezone and location.
- A profile makes their first purchase: Klaviyo uses the billing address from the purchase event data to update location and timezone.
- A profile opens an email any time after making a purchase: Klaviyo will update timezone, but not location.
- A profile purchases again: Klaviyo uses the billing address from the purchase event data to update location and timezone.
Klaviyo uses IP geolocation to set a profile's location when a billing address has not been received. When someone clicks through a Klaviyo email, subscribes via a Klaviyo signup form, or is otherwise captured by our web tracking snippet, we will identify the person and use the IP they are on to set their location.
Although IP geolocation is used as the industry standard, it can sometimes be inaccurate. Here are a few reasons you might see discrepancies between a profile's IP geolocation and where they are actually located:
- We check someone's IP whenever they open an email or are captured by our web tracking snippet. For example, if someone is on a trip to China when they open the email, their IP will reflect this, even if their typical location is in California.
- IPs are not static, and the location affiliated with an IP is also not static; this makes IP geolocation imperfect.
The above note is most relevant when you want to schedule a campaign that sends to each recipient in their own timezone. Depending on where a recipient was the last time they opened an email or opted-in via a signup form, it's possible that the timezone Klaviyo has recorded for a recipient at send time will not be the same timezone the recipient is in when they receive your next campaign.
Additional situations where we won't be able to get accurate IP data from email open events:
- If the Opened Email event, when tracked, goes through a proxy; this is true of emails opened in Gmail.
- If the Opened Email event is synced to Klaviyo through an integration, like Mailchimp. In this case, the IP we assess will be a Mailchimp server IP and not the actual email recipient's IP.
Update Location Information Yourself
If you want to update any location-related properties for one or more profiles — either by manually importing this location data or using the API — you will need to reference the relevant Klaviyo property name:
- City: the city where they live
- State/Region: the state/region where they live
- Country: the country where they live
- Zip Code: the postal code where they live
For more information about properties and how to manage and update them, head to our Guide to Properties.