This article walks through enabling the Shopify integration, setting up your accepts marketing list, and adding web tracking to your Shopify store. After integrating you can optionally sync your signup forms to your Klaviyo account.
Enable the Shopify Integration
This section walks through enabling the Shopify integration in your Klaviyo account.
- In your Klaviyo account click the Integrations tab and click on the Shopify integration.
- Paste in the URL of your Shopify store and click Connect to Shopify. This takes you to your Shopify account.
- Click Install App. This begins syncing your Shopify data with Klaviyo and takes you back to your Klaviyo account.
- A green success callout indicates that your data is syncing with Klaviyo. You can view this data at the bottom of the screen.
If you're syncing a large amount of data a green progress bar will indicate the status of your sync. See the section below on Monitoring the Historical Data Sync for more detailed information.
Your Shopify integration is now enabled.
Setup Your Accepts Marketing List
It's important to setup your main newsletter list in Klaviyo to automatically add all customers who accept marketing at your checkout, or sign up to your default Shopify signup form.
You also have the option to use Klaviyo forms or a 3rd party signup form. See the section below on syncing your signup forms to Klaviyo.
You can do this on your Shopify integration page by checking the box to Subscribe customers who Accept Marketing to a Klaviyo list, and selecting a list from the dropdown. After you select the list you want to sync, click Update Shopify settings.
When you integrate your Klaviyo account with Shopify, one of the properties synced from your store is whether each customer accepts marketing or not. The property can be either true or false. Below is an example of how the property appears on a customer's profile in your Klaviyo account.
To learn more about how the "Accepts Marketing" property is managed in Shopify, view their documentation. This property is always synced to your Klaviyo whether you subscribe customers who accept marketing to a list or not.
It's important to note that the Accepts Marketing property that's synced to Klaviyo doesn't mean someone is or isn't subscribed to your newsletter. There are a few situations which can cause someone to have Accepts Marketing set to false, but they're still subscribed to your newsletter:
- If a customers checks out and decides not to accept marketing then, but subscribes through a signup form later, they'll still be added your newsletter list.
- If a customer checks out and does accept marketing, they'll be added to your newsletter list. If they check out again, they'll probably decide to not subscribe again since they're already subscribed. Depending on your checkout configuration, Shopify might see this as them not accepting marketing, but you probably don't want to treat not subscribing twice as an unsubscribe. In this case, we'll keep them on your newsletter list.
Add Web Tracking to Your Shopify Store
Add web tracking to your Shopify store by pasting two Klaviyo code snippets into your Shopify theme.
- From your Klaviyo account click the Account dropdown and select Setup Web Tracking. This takes you to a page with two code snippets. You will paste each snippet into a different location in your Shopify theme files.
- From your Shopify Admin click Online Store > Themes. From the dropdown click Edit Code.
- Search for the theme.liquid file. Click on the file to open it in the editor.
- Scroll to the bottom of the file and locate the closing
</body>tag. Paste the first code snippet directly before the closing
</body>tag. Click Save.
- Switch back to your Klaviyo account, and copy the second snippet.
- Switch back to your Shopify account, search for the product.liquid file. Click the file to open it in the editor.
- Paste the second code snippet at the bottom of the file, after all the existing code. Click Save.
- Switch back to your Klaviyo account. Enter the URL for your Shopify store into the box. Click Next.
- Click the link that is generated where you previously input your URL. This triggers an Active on Site event in your Klaviyo account.
A green Data Received button confirms that your web tracking is set up correctly.
Sync a Shopify Signup Form to a Klaviyo List
You have your Shopify store synced, and you're ready to hit the ground running with Klaviyo. Now is a good time to consider any signup forms you have on your website or any landing pages you use. You will want to make sure that all these forms point to Klaviyo, so that new subscribers begin to flow effortlessly into Klaviyo and get added to the right Klaviyo lists.
There are three main options for syncing your signup forms to Klaviyo:
- Sync your default signup forms to Klaviyo by setting up your accepts marketing list.
- Add a Klaviyo form to your Shopify store (popup and flyouts)
- Integrate a 3rd party signup form provider to your Klaviyo account.
For an overview of how signup forms work and all your options for using signup forms with Klaviyo, check out our guide to getting started with signup forms.
Monitoring the Historical Data Sync
Depending on how many orders, customers and products your store has, it can take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours to sync all of your data. Once the initial sync is complete, new data will sync to Klaviyo in real-time. To check the progress of the initial sync, click on the Metrics tab in the sidebar.
Find the Placed Order metric and change the date range of the graph to see which dates have been fully synced. When the sync is complete, the Shopify integration in the Integrations tab will be marked complete. If you want to verify for yourself that all data from Shopify is synced, you can cross check the total orders for a few days or a week. Before you start validating, make sure your account's timezone matches the settings in Shopify. To check or update your account's timezone, go to the Account Settings page and check the Contact Information > Organization section.
Klaviyo's Web Tracking Snippets
Klaviyo's web tracking snippets are included below for your convenience. You can also access these snippets from your Klaviyo account by clicking the account dropdown and clicking Setup Web Tracking.
The Active on Site Metric
Add this snippet before the closing
</body> tag of your theme.liquid theme file.
In the script below, be sure to replace 'API_KEY' with your Public API Key from your Klaviyo account.
The Viewed Product Metric
Add this snippet to a new line at the end of your product.liquid theme file.
Manually Testing Web Tracking
To test that tracking is set up properly, go to a product page for your store, and add the following to the end of the URL, replacing email@example.com with your email address:
Click enter to reload the page. Now, when you search in Klaviyo for your email address. You should see a profile has been created and has tracked your product view.
Reverting to a Previous Version Theme Files
If you think you have made an error inserting the code into any of your theme files, or you would like to revert to a previous version of the file in order to undo any changes you can do so within the Shopify HTML/CSS editor.
Here are some quick troubleshooting tips for common issues.
My Shopify Integration is Not Syncing
If you think your Shopify integration is not syncing data properly, you can update the sync by completing the following steps.
- From your Klaviyo account, click into your Integrations tab.
- Find your Shopify integration and click View Settings.
- Click the blue Update Shopify Settings button. If you're not logged into your Shopify store you will be redirected to Shopify and prompted to log in.
When you click to update your integration settings, we will re-authenticate with Shopify and then you will be brought back into Klaviyo. If you click to update, and then click the back button or navigate elsewhere before this authentication process completes, this will cause your integration to get disabled.
- A green Settings Updated callout at the top of the page confirms your integration has been updated and is resyncing. This can take up to 1 minute to appear.