A campaign is a one-time send to a pre-established target group of contacts - think regular newsletters, sale announcements, or promotional sends. An individual campaign can be created and sent immediately, or a campaign can be prepared and then scheduled to send at a later time.
In this article we cover the basics of campaigns.
Before you start sending you need the following things:
- Create a target list or dynamic segment of who you want to target.
- Check that your organization info is accurate.
- We highly recommend spending time to create a series of base templates that you can then leverage for all future campaigns - this can be a big time saver (think a base Newsletter template set with your logo, colors, header, footer, and preferred layout).
Campaign vs. Flow
In Klaviyo lingo, it is important to distinguish between flows and campaigns.
Send to a target list that you build in advance
Send one or more automated emails, curated based on certain triggers and filters
Manually created and scheduled
Triggered every time a certain behavior occurs
Example: monthly emails for a newsletter list, or a flash sale announcement to existing customers
Example: automated "Welcome Email" that sends to new subscribers immediately after they signup
Building a New Campaign
Klaviyo’s campaign wizard guides you through the steps for creating your campaign. First navigate to the Campaigns tab and click Create Campaign.
The Campaign Wizard takes you through the following three screens:
- Names & Recipients
- Message Content
- Review & Send
Choose Name & Recipients
The first screen of the wizard covers the basic settings of your campaign, who you send to, and details about how you send.
- First name your campaign.
- Choose an existing list or segment to target. For example, you may want to send a campaign to your Newsletter List or you may want to send a campaign to a list with all customers that have 2 or more purchases.
- If you want to send to multiple lists/segments, select which lists/segments you would like to include or exclude. Learn more about Klaviyo's multi-list sending feature.
- Make note of the expected recipient count - this estimate removes duplicate profiles, excluded profiles, and suppressions.
- Enable or disable smart sending.
- Enable or disable Google Analytics tracking.
Create Campaign Content
The second screen in the wizard is where you build your email template. Create a new template or choose a template from the template library.
- Double check the From, Reply-To Email, and Subject lines. These are populated based on your organization info. You can also add a different Reply-To email address if you would like responses to go to a different inbox (for example, if you want your Klaviyo email to come from a personal email but responses to go to a support inbox).
- Select how you would like to create campaign content:
- Rich HTML / Drag & Drop
Our email editor automatically optimizes your email for mobile and makes it easy to create complex email layouts.
- Text Based / Simple
If you'd like to send a text only email, this is the option you're looking for. This is a good option for sending an email that looks like it came directly from you rather than your organization.
- Use Template from Library
If you've already created your own base template, newsletter template or snack template, this is where you should start. You can also choose a template from the Klaviyo template library.
- HTML Editor
If you have your own HTML email template you're importing, or you want to code an HTML template from scratch, this is the option to choose.
Schedule and Send Your Campaign
The third and final screen of the wizard allows you to review, schedule, and send your campaign.
At this step in the wizard you can choose to add a variation to your email if you'd like to AB test your campaign.
- Click Review and Send Campaign.
- Review all sections and click Schedule. Even if you plan to send right away, we recommend reviewing your additional sending options.
- Schedule your campaign.
Select when you would like to send your campaign and it will be queued and sent within a few minutes after the time you set. You can either send immediately or send at a later date and time. During high volume sending periods you may see a 5-10 minute delay when scheduling a campaign to send immediately.
NoteThe option to "determine recipients at send time" does the following:
- Klaviyo will take a new snapshot of your target list or segment right before the scheduled campaign sends. This ensures that everyone who is added/removed from the list or segment between the scheduling and send time correctly receives or does not receive the email.
- You will not be able to select this option if you choose to send based on a recipient's timezone (outlined below).
- Learn more about determining recipients at send time.
When scheduling your campaign, review all options.
Deliver message according to recipient's timezones: If enabled, this option will send your campaign to each recipient based on his/her timezone. If we're not sure of a recipient's timezone, we'll send the campaign based on the timezone you select. You cannot send according to recipients' timezones within 24 hours of send time.
Batch Sending: If you would like to split your email send into smaller batches and send over a length of time.
Note that you cannot use these options when sending an A/B test.
- Click Send Campaign to send your campaign.
Click back to your Campaigns tab to check the status of your campaign.
- New or featured
Highlight curated products that are new or in-season, or feature what's new with your company or organization.
Your business or organization is one of many out there. Explaining what makes it unique, and featuring the people "behind the brand", can build brand loyalty and community by helping your subscribers feel more connected to what you do and who you are.
- Highlight interesting content
Provide a short lead into a recent blog post, or another piece of content you’ve created, and send subscribers a link to read more. Developing your company's voice as relevant go-to source for new and interesting content in your industry is a great way to keep subscribers and customers coming back for more.
Announce a special promotion or sale your business is offering. Even better if it's exclusive to email subscribers - creating a sense or urgency and exclusivity drives action.
Learn more about campaigns by checking out the articles in our Campaigns section, or reading the recommendations below.