You will learn
Learn how to integrate Salesforce Marketing Cloud (previously ExactTarget) with Klaviyo. This integration is designed to help you move from Salesforce Marketing Cloud to Klaviyo. We don't recommend using both platforms at once other than during the interim period as you make the switch.
Before you begin
Make sure to consult our general checklist that covers how to completely migrate over to Klaviyo from a different email service provider (ESP).
Add the Salesforce Marketing Cloud integration
- In Klaviyo, click your account name in the lower left corner, then select Integrations.
- On the next page, select All Integrations and search for Salesforce Marketing Cloud. Then, click Add Integration.
- Provide the username and password you use to log into Salesforce Marketing Cloud.
- If you click Advanced Options, you will have the option to 1) Collect open and click data from your campaigns (highly recommended) and 2) Only sync specific lists, which will allow you to pick the specific lists you want to sync from Salesforce Marketing Cloud.
- If you select both checkboxes, Klaviyo will sync all campaign data regardless of whether the campaign was sent to the specified list. Additionally, Klaviyo will subsequently create profiles for all the people who opened and/or clicked those campaigns, regardless of whether they’re on the specified list.
- After entering in your information, click Connect to Salesforce Marketing Cloud. Your integration should now be enabled.
Monitor the Klaviyo sync
To check on your enabled integration, click the Audience dropdown in Klaviyo, then select the Lists & Segments tab.
Here, you should begin to see your Salesforce Marketing Cloud lists populate in Klaviyo. These lists will be synced with subscribers from your Salesforce Marketing Cloud lists.
Klaviyo receives historical engagement data from Salesforce Marketing Cloud from the last 180 days. New data syncs to Klaviyo every 5 minutes.
The following metrics will be synced with Klaviyo:
- Clicked Email
- Opened Email
- Received Email
If you select the Analytics dropdown in Klaviyo, then select Metrics, you'll be able to review these metrics.
If a profile has an inactive status in Salesforce Marketing Cloud, that profile will be globally suppressed within Klaviyo. Inactive statuses include Bounced, Held, Unsubscribed, and Deleted.
You can use the above engagement metrics to segment your Salesforce Marketing Cloud lists in Klaviyo. This will protect your deliverability and ensure that you start off on the right foot by sending exclusively to contacts who want to receive your emails.
To start, build an engaged segment of your subscribers:
- Has Opened Email (ExactTarget) at least once in the last 30 days OR
- Has Clicked Email (ExactTarget) at least once in the last 30 days
If you're a daily sender, you should send your first week's worth of campaigns to this segment. If you're a bi-weekly sender, you should send your first 2-3 campaigns to this segment. For more information, see our article on how to create an engaged segment.
You've now integrated Salesforce Marketing Cloud with Klaviyo, verified your synced data, and reviewed best practices.