You will learn
Learn how to integrate Google Ads with Klaviyo. This integration allows you to automatically:
- Connect a Klaviyo list or segment to a Google Audience.
- Sync profiles from Klaviyo to Google.
With this integration, it will be easier to drive your Google Ads strategy with the help of Klaviyo. After integrating, you’ll be able to re-target existing customers, target similar audiences, and exclude profiles from advertising campaigns based on criteria such as purchase data.
Before you begin
Before you integrate with Google Ads, you’ll want to first set up your Klaviyo account and integrate with your ecommerce platform. Have questions? Check out our guide to getting started with Klaviyo.
Additionally, it's important to note the following:
- Access via manager and MCC (My Client Center) accounts is not supported, so before you integrate make sure that you are a direct admin of the Google Ads account you want to connect.
- Klaviyo's Google Ads integration will only work properly if your Google Ads account is eligible for Customer Match. To learn more, read Google's Customer Match policy.
How to integrate with Google Ads
- Log in to your Klaviyo account.
- Click your account name the lower left corner, then select Integrations
- Click All Integrations.
- Search for Google Ads.
- Click Add Integration to be brought to the integration settings page.
- Click Connect to Google Ads.
- Log in to your Google account. Note that the Google account you log in with needs to have direct admin permissions for the Google Ads account you wish to connect. Access via manager/MCC accounts is not supported.
- Agree to the permissions and click Allow to be brought back into Klaviyo.
- Select the Google Ads account you want to integrate with from the dropdown. Don’t see the right account available in the dropdown? Confirm that you have admin permissions for that account, then try again.
- Under Connections, select a Klaviyo list or segment to connect with an audience.
- If you need to create a new list in Klaviyo, navigate to the Lists & Segments tab under Audience.
- Click Create List/Segment.
- Name the list and assign any tags.
- Click Create List.
- Select a Google Audience to connect with your list or segment. If you need to create a new Google Audience, you can do so here by clicking + Create an audience in the dropdown.
- If you want to add additional connections, click Add Connection. Note that you can return to this settings page at any time to add additional connections. Additionally, note that this is a 1:1 sync; you cannot select the same Google Audience for multiple Klaviyo lists or segments, and you cannot connect the same Klaviyo list or segment to multiple Google Audiences.
- Once you are finished adding connections, click Complete Setup.
- A success message will appear, letting you know that your Google Ads account is now connected to Klaviyo.
- After integrating, you'll see a Google Ads manager linking request from email@example.com in your inbox, which you should accept.
How the integration works
When connecting Klaviyo lists or segments to Google Audiences, you can:
- Create 1:1 syncs between a Klaviyo list or segment and a Google Audience. Note that you cannot select the same Google Audience for multiple Klaviyo lists or segments, and you cannot connect the same Klaviyo list or segment to multiple Google Audiences.
- Create a new Google Audience from within Klaviyo to connect a new list or segment to.
When you create a new connection from Klaviyo to Google Ads, it can take up to 48 hours for the custom audience in Google Ads to populate. The ongoing sync from Klaviyo to Google Ads to update profile list/segment membership is in real-time, though it may take Google Ads up to 48 hours to process the data received from Klaviyo. This is due to a delay in Google accepting and processing profiles from Klaviyo.
Only profiles associated with a Google account will appear in the Google Audience.
Integration use cases
There are many ways you can use this integration to drive your marketing strategy with Google Ads. We’ve bucketed these use cases into 4 main categories:
- Retarget existing profiles.
- Exclude certain segments from future ads.
- Use existing profiles to create similar audiences.
- Observe and monitor how a specific audience is performing.
Below, we’ll discuss use cases for each category and provide Google resources around implementation.
Retarget existing profiles
The same segmentation used for targeted emails and texts can be used for targeted ads. Consider the following segments:
- Cart abandoners
Target customers who started a checkout in the past 7 days, but haven't placed an order in the past 7 days, with an ad that echoes the message or discount you provide in your abandoned cart flow.
Target customers that haven’t purchased in a while with an ad featuring popular trending items.
Target inactive subscribers with a relevant ad featuring items they’ve viewed on your site or featuring a limited time offer promotion.
Target customers who have bought one product with a different but complementary product.
- New customer
Target those that have visited your site but never purchased to encourage first-time conversions.
Target those you're already reaching by email with a relevant ad that reinforces the message and has a similar call-to-action.
- Potential brand enthusiasts
These customers purchased recently, but not frequently and not at a high monetary value. Focus on increasing their purchase frequency or average order value by promoting bestsellers and popular or related products.
- Unengaged VIP
If customers who were once on your VIP list haven’t engaged with your brand recently, you can target them on a different platform to bring them back to your brand.
Here’s how to target one of these segments by applying the audience to an ad group or campaign in Google Ads:
- Create your segment in Klaviyo.
- Navigate to the Lists & Segments tab under Audience.
- Click Create List/Segment, then select Segment.
- Design your segment to match the group you want to target.
- When integrating with Google Ads, connect your segment to a new Google Audience, as described in the how to integrate section above.
- Once you’ve integrated, head to Google Ads. There, use the targeting setting to narrow your ad group or target your campaign to the audience you synced from Klaviyo. To learn more about targeting, check out the Google Ads implementation guide.
Exclude existing profiles from future ads
If there is a list or segment you want to exclude from future ads (for instance, exclude customers who have bought from you recently and may be unlikely to repurchase soon), you can create that list or segment in Klaviyo, sync it to a custom audience in Google Ads, and exclude it from an adgroup or campaign.
This is similar to the process described for targeting a segment, and the only difference is that within Google Ads, you exclude the segment. To learn how to exclude a specific audience list from an ad group or campaign in Google Ads, consult Google's implementation guide for exclusions.
Use existing profiles to create similar audiences
You can take a VIP list or segment in Klaviyo and then create a similar audience in Google to reach new leads that resemble your best customers. You’ll need to create a segment in Klaviyo, or use an existing VIP segment, then sync it to a Google audience through the integration. Then, in Google Ads, you’ll create a similar audience.
- Learn about similar audiences in Google Ads, which you can use when you want to expand the reach of your lists to more users, to acquire new customers, or expand your advertising campaign.
- Learn how to implement similar audiences in Google Ads.
Observe and monitor how a specific audience is performing
You can also decide to only monitor how ads are performing for selected audiences (reporting) while your campaign is running without changing the reach of your campaign or adgroup. Based on the reporting/observation of your profiles, you may decide to create a new adgroup or campaign to target these profiles or to make bid adjustments.
- Learn how to observe and monitor how an audience is performing in Google Ads.
You’ve finished integrating Google Ads with Klaviyo, and can now begin using Klaviyo to help drive your advertising strategy on Google Ads.
Google Ads resources:
- Learn more about the “targeting” and “observation” settings in Google Ads