You will learn
Learn how to sync customer information such as names, email addresses, and the accepts marketing property from Klaviyo to Shopify, from your Shopify integration settings page in Klaviyo. On this page, you have the option to sync changes to certain profile fields from Klaviyo to Shopify.
Before you begin
If you have not already, read our article Getting started with Shopify for step-by-step instructions on integrating, before continuing with this article.
Keep in mind that syncing these changes will overwrite these values in Shopify, even if they were originally created in Shopify before syncing to Klaviyo. This can be useful if, for example, you would like to change the email address associated with a particular customer (within Klaviyo) and you want this change to be reflected in Shopify.
It is important to exercise caution when using this feature, as you may unintentionally overwrite fields in Shopify with data synced through other active integrations in your Klaviyo account. For example, let's say you have help desk software integrated with Klaviyo and someone opens a ticket under the name JD when their full name is Jane Doe. If they open the ticket with the same email address you have on file, their name will be updated in Klaviyo from Jane Doe to JD and, if the sync is enabled, these changes will be reflected in Shopify as well. In this case, their full name would no longer be stored anywhere.
Sync fields from Klaviyo to Shopify
- In Klaviyo, click your account name in the lower left and select Integrations .
- Select Enabled Integrations and click on your Shopify integration.
- On your Shopify Integration Settings page, check the box that reads Update Shopify customer profiles with Klaviyo data.
- If you're using Klaviyo SMS, we recommend that you check the box to Sync customer SMS subscription status to Shopify. This setting will automatically backfill your SMS subscription data to Shopify and, in the future, sync this data from Klaviyo to Shopify whenever a Shopify customer subscribes or unsubscribes from SMS. Read more about How to Collect SMS Consent at Checkout on Shopify.
- Click Update Shopify Settings.
Once you've updated your settings, Klaviyo will begin syncing data back to Shopify.
Existing Shopify profiles will now be updated with Klaviyo data. New profiles from within Klaviyo will not be synced to Shopify.
The fields that are updated in the Klaviyo to Shopify sync include:
The email address of the contact
- First name
The contact's first name
- Last name
The contact's last name
- Accepts marketing
This property, which originates in Shopify, indicates consent for email marketing. Klaviyo will sync the Accepts marketing property back to Shopify in the following cases:
- If a profile subscribes to email marketing
- If a profile is globally unsubscribed from email marketing
- Getting started with Shopify (for more information about integrating with Shopify)
- How to sync Shopify email subscribers to a Klaviyo list (for more information about Shopify subscribers in Klaviyo, and how the Accepts marketing property does not always match newsletter subscriptions)