Klaviyo's advertising integration with Facebook offers two features:
- Sync lists and segments to Facebook as Custom Audiences so that you can advertise to these subscribers, as well as create Lookalike Audiences
- Add subscribers who sign up via Facebook Lead Ad Forms to a list (or lists) in Klaviyo
Add the Facebook Advertising Integration
Click on the Integrations tab in the left sidebar of your account. Navigate to the All Integrations tab and find Facebook Advertising on the list of available integrations. Then click Add Integration.
Click Authorize with Facebook Advertising. This will bring you to Facebook to give Klaviyo the permissions we need to sync your data. After you have gone through this authentication process, you will be brought back into Klaviyo.
If you are working with an agency or if you have multiple people working on your advertising account, only Facebook users with admin permissions will be able to manage lead ads and custom audiences.
Once back in Klaviyo, you will be prompted to choose which Advertising Account you want to connect with. Select your business's Facebook Page, then click Update Facebook Advertising Settings.
Sync a List or Segment to a Custom Audience
Once you have enabled Klaviyo's Facebook Advertising integration, you will be able to start syncing existing lists and segments in Klaviyo to Facebook as advertising audiences.
To get started, first go to the Settings page for the list or segment you'd like to sync. Towards the bottom of this page, you will see a Facebook Advertising section. Here, click Choose an audience to sync with.
A list of your existing Facebook custom audiences appears, along with the option to create a new custom audience. Select the custom audience you want to sync your Klavyio list to.
If you select an existing custom audience and the profiles in your Klaviyo list are not syncing to your Facebook account, test syncing the same Klaviyo list to a new custom audience by clicking the Create new audience... option.
Your list or segment will begin a one-to-one sync with the selected Facebook audience.
When you create a new sync from Klaviyo to Facebook it can take up to 24 hours for the custom audience in Facebook to populate. This is due to a delay in Facebook accepting and processing profiles from Klaviyo.
As profiles are added or removed from your list or segment, they will also be added or removed from that audience on an hourly basis. One thing to note is that only email addresses within Klaviyo that are associated with a Facebook login will be synced, so the size of your audience may not match exactly with the size of your list/segment.
After you've started syncing a list or segment to a given Custom Audience, you can also switch the audience at any time or delete the sync completely.
It's worth noting that because Instagram ads are managed through Facebook, you can also advertise to this audience on Instagram.
Facebook doesn't allow us to sync with audiences that were created from a web pixel, so we won't show those audiences in the list of available audiences when syncing a list in Klaviyo.
Connect Facebook Lead Ads to a List
After selecting a Facebook page from your integrations settings, you are able to sync a Klaviyo list to a Facebook Lead Ad.
Klaviyo's double opt-in feature is not supported for customers filling out lead ads. Any customer that fills out a lead ad you have synced to a list will be added to your account and available to be emailed.
Navigate to the list you would like a specific Lead Ad Form to be funneled to and click Settings. Then, find the Facebook Advertising area and click Choose a lead ad form to connect.
If you don't see the option "Choose a lead ad form to connect" then double check that you have selected a Facebook page from the dropdown on the Integrations > Facebook page of your Klaviyo account.
When you click this link, a popup will appear asking which Lead Ad Form you would like to sync to your list. You can select one or more forms. You can also sync the same form with one or more lists. Lastly, click Update.
When you connect a Facebook Lead Ad do a list in Klaviyo, all future signups will be added to your list. If you want to add contacts that signed up to your lead ad prior to integrating with Klaviyo, you can export the list from Facebook and import the contacts into Klaviyo.
The "Filled Out Lead Ad" Metric
Whenever someone fills out a Lead Ad Form, Klaviyo will track a Filled Out Lead Ad event. A timeline view of all Lead Ad activity can be viewed by navigating to the Activity Feed section of your account's dashboard and filtering by this metic. You can view more detailed analytics around this metric by navigating to the Metrics tab of your account.
You can use the Filled Out Lead Ad event to build segments or trigger/filter flows. For example, you may want to create a welcome series flow for new Facebook leads -- just be sure to filter them out of the list's main welcome series.
The example below shows a flow triggered by the Filled Out Lead Ad metric. This flow also contains a trigger filter that only captures customers who fill out the ad with AdId 1234567.
All new Facebook leads who are added to a Klaviyo list will also have this Filled Out Lead Ad metric attached to their individual profiles. If a profile already exists associate with the lead's email address, Klaviyo won't create a duplicate, but instead will start tracking Facebook Advertising data on the person's existing profile.
Any questions or additional fields on your Lead Ad Form will also sync to Klaviyo for each new lead. These form responses will get recorded as custom properties on the lead's Klaviyo profile.
Best Practices for Custom Audiences
While Facebook has a lot of information about its users (age, gender, location, etc.), you likely have a lot of information about your users, too.
The same segmentation leveraged for targeted emails can be used for targeted ads:
- Cart Abandoners: Target customers who started a checkout in the past seven days, but haven't placed an order in the past seven days, with an ad that echos the message or discount you provide in your abandoned cart flow
- Winback: Target customers that haven’t purchased in a while featuring popular/trending items
- Re-engage: Target inactive subscribers with a relevant Facebook ad featuring items they’ve viewed on your site or featuring a limited time offer promotion
- Cross-sell: Target customers who have bought one product (e.g. pants) with a different but complementary product (e.g. shirts)
- New Customer: Target those that have visited your site but never purchased to encourage first-time conversions
- Cross-Channel: Target those you're already reaching by email with a relevant Facebook ad that reinforces the message and has a similar call-to-action (CTA)
- Lookalike: Take a VIP list or segment in Klaviyo and create a Lookalike Audience in Facebook to reach new leads that resemble your best customers
Best Practices for Lead Ads
In Klaviyo, you can create a segment of VIP customers or otherwise engaged subscribers. You can build this segment based on different criteria, such as:
- Website Activity: Use Active on Site and Viewed Product metrics to segment frequent site visitors
- Purchase Behavior: Use a Placed Order metric, and apply a frequency and/or a timeframe filter, to capture loyal customers (for example, everyone that has placed at least 2 orders in the last 6 weeks)
- Lifetime Value: Use the Revenue metric to segment those that have purchased over a certain amount over all time
Sync this VIP segment to a Custom Audience in Facebook. Once you do this, you can create a Lookalike Audience to try to find new customers with similar interests and attributes. Target this audience with the same introductory offer you would run on your website, except in order to receive it, all they need to do is fill out the form attached to your Lead Ad on Facebook.
From here, when these new leads come into Klaviyo through your Lead Ad, you can trigger a targeted welcome series flow to get these new prospective customers to use their offer.