You will learn
Learn how form responses are stored in your Klaviyo account, where to access a person’s form answers, and how to export a CSV containing these responses.
You can use forms to learn more about your audience and send highly targeted, personalized marketing. If your form contains input fields (e.g., text inputs or radio buttons), you can view someone’s responses within their Klaviyo profile.
Before you begin
In order to see form responses, you must have a Klaviyo form that at least one person has completed. All input fields in your form must be properly formatted, including both:
- The profile property name, which represents the question.
- The property value, which is the person’s response.
For open-input fields (e.g., Text Input or Phone Number), the property value is whatever the site visitor types into the field.
For Multi Checkbox, Radio Button, and Dropdown fields, each option has a Label and Value. The labels are the options a visitor sees in the form, and the values are the responses saved on the back end after someone completes the form.
Learn more about building sign-up forms.
How form responses are stored
When someone fills out a Klaviyo sign-up form, their responses are stored within the Custom Properties section of their profile. Every form response must be attached to an email address or phone number in order to be stored within a profile, so it’s important to include an email or phone number field in your sign-up forms.
CALLOUT: If your form doesn’t contain one of these fields, the form responses will not be saved, although you may see a number of submissions counted in the form’s Overview page.
If someone fills out the same form more than once, only their most recent response will be saved. Additionally, if you use the same property name in multiple forms (or if the property name is a special Klaviyo property), the property’s data will be overwritten each time Klaviyo receives new information about a person. Because of this, it’s important to use unique property names, and avoid using Klaviyo properties (e.g., $consent_method, City, or Region) for most form fields.
There are a few exceptions. Use Klaviyo properties for the following fields:
- First Name
- Last Name
- Phone Number
- Consent (e.g., if your form contains GDPR consent fields)
Export a CSV of form responses
To view the responses of a group without navigating to each individual profile, create a segment containing all form responders and export a CSV of their answers.
Create a segment of people who filled out the form
To create a segment of people who filled out your form:
- Open the sign-up form and copy the form ID.
- Copy the form's ID. To find a form’s ID, navigate to the form within Klaviyo and locate the six-digit identifier in the form’s URL.
- Once you’ve copied the form’s ID, create a segment with this definition:
Properties about someone > $consent_form_id > equals > Form_ID
- Each time someone fills out a form, their $consent_form_id property is replaced with the ID of the form they filled out most recently, so profiles will only appear in this segment if they have not filled out any other forms after completing the one in question. To avoid this, add a hidden field to your form before setting it live, then use the hidden field property as your segment definition.
- Use the form ID you copied in place of Form_ID.
- Then, click Create Segment. Note that it may take a few minutes or more for the segment to populate, depending on its size.
Export a CSV containing all form responses
- Open your segment of people who filled out your form.
- Click Manage Segment > Export Segment to CSV.
- On the Export Review page, check all the properties from your form. You can search for property names if needed.
- Finally, click Start Export to export a CSV containing the form responses.
The resulting CSV contains the same data found in each individual’s profile. If someone filled out the form multiple times, the export will only include their most recent response. Additionally, if someone filled out the form anonymously (i.e., without an email address or phone number), their results will not be stored in Klaviyo or included in any exports, as Klaviyo cannot store anonymous data.
View an individual form response
To see a single person’s form responses, locate their Klaviyo profile by searching for their email or name using the search field in the top navigation. Open their profile, then locate the Custom Properties area of their profile.
In this section, all custom profile properties are stored alphabetically. Responses to any form questions will be stored here.
To recap, form responses are stored as custom profile properties on individual user profiles. You can see form responses by viewing an individual profile or by exporting a list or segment of profiles who have filled out your form.
Ready to use your data to take your marketing personalization to the next level? Head to our guide on advanced segmentation.
- Getting started with sign-up forms
- Understanding data types
- Getting started with segments
- How to segment for form results