Before uploading a list consider whether the list has engaged users and complies with our terms of service.
Can I upload my list?
In order to comply with Klaviyo’s Terms of Service, you can only upload lists of people who have signed up on your website or have otherwise opted in to receive marketing emails from you. This means:
- No third-party lists
- No prospecting lists
- No purchased lists or lists that you scraped from websites
- No Chambers of Commerce lists, etc.
Klaviyo only supports permission-based sending. If you need help deciding whether or not your list complies with our Terms of Service, contact our success team.
Should I upload my list?
If you are planning to import a list that is not your main newsletter list, consider the following questions:
- Did someone subscribe to this list by filling out a sign up form online, or at an event you attended?
- Is this list a subset of your main newsletter list? For example, a list of newsletter subscribers who live in Boston, or all female subscribers?
- Does this list contain customers or contacts grouped because of something they’ve done or not done? For example, a list of customers that have all purchased a specific product?
If your list contains opted-in subscribers who have signed up directly to receive marketing emails from you, this is a list you’ll want to import into Klaviyo.
If your list contains a subset of your newsletter subscribers or customers or contacts grouped because of something they’ve done or not done, you will be able to replace these lists in Klaviyo with dynamic segments, so you don't need to upload them.
Segments are defined by a set of conditions. This means they grow as new people meet the conditions and shrink as people no longer meet them; they are not static, like lists. If you create a list of contacts that represents a subset of another list, you will have to maintain this yourself as new people meet the subset's conditions. This means you will manually have to add and remove contacts. If you replace such lists with dynamic segments, Klaviyo will automatically keep the segment up-to-date based on the definition you establish.