You will learn
Learn how to distinguish between your POS and web orders in Klaviyo, if you use the Shopify point of sale (POS) system. This is done through filtering orders or creating segments. Klaviyo syncs the
source_name when a customer completes the checkout process and creates an order in your Shopify store, which records the source of the order.
According to Shopify's documentation, "source_name" is defined as: "Where the order originated. May only be set during creation, and is not writeable thereafter. Orders created through official Shopify channels have protected values that cannot be assigned by other API clients during order creation. These protected values are: "web", "pos", "iphone", and "android". Orders created via the API may be assigned any other string of your choice. If source_name is unspecified, new orders are assigned the value "api"."
Before you begin
If you have not already, read our guide on getting started with Shopify for step-by-step instructions on integrating, before continuing with this article.
Filter orders by source
You can filter Placed Order events in Klaviyo by "web," "pos," "iphone," "android," or other custom strings by using the source_name property associated with a given order. In Klaviyo, this property will appear as simply "Source Name" when you are building a segment or flow filter.
To filter and view exclusively POS Placed Order events:
- In Klaviyo, select the Analytics dropdown and click Metrics.
- Click on the Placed Order metric from Shopify.
- Select the Filter by dropdown and choose Source name, then choose pos from the equals dropdown.
Segment orders by source
In the segment builder, you can create segments based on the Source Name property. For example, here is a segment of customers who have placed a POS order:
- In Klaviyo, navigate to Audience > Lists & Segments.
- Click Create List/Segment and select Segment
- Create a segment with the following conditions:
- Name: POS Orders
- Tags: None
- What some has done (or not done) > Has Placed Order > at least once > over all time
- Where Source name > equals pos
You've now learned how to differentiate Shopify web orders from POS orders.