Find out how to access and and manage your API keys for your Klaviyo account.
Difference Between Public and Private API Keys
Your public API key is also called your Site ID. This is a short alphanumeric value. This public key is a unique identifier for your Klaviyo account, and there is only one per account. It is safe to expose your public API key, as this key cannot be used to access data in your Klaviyo account.
Private API keys are used for reading data from Klaviyo and manipulating some sensitive objects such as lists. Treat private API keys like passwords kept in a safe place and never exposed to the public. A Klaviyo account can generate as many private API keys as needed.
Find your API Keys
- Click the account dropdown in the upper right
- Select Account
- Click Settings > API Keys
- View both your public API key (i.e., Site ID) and your private API keys in this location
Generate a Private API Key
You can generate new private API keys for different application uses. This can help trace the source of data being added to your Klaviyo account via the API. For example, you may have an API key used to integrate with your ecommerce platform as well as an API key used to integrate with a shipping or help desk application.
- Navigate to Account > Settings
- Click API Keys
- Click Create API Key
- (Optional) Add a label for the new API key
Label Private API Keys
You may wish to label each private API key for clarity.
- Select the pencil icon next to the private API key name
- Type in a new label in the window that appears
- Select Save API Key