As a marketer, you may occasionally run promotions or contests to generate new subscribers. While you can accomplish this using a third-party tool that integrates with Klaviyo, like ViralSweep or Dojomojo, you can also run a contest strictly using Klaviyo.
For both methods, you'll need to:
- Connect your lead gen form to a Klaviyo list that is separate from your master list
- Take a random sample of 1 to determine the winner
- Use a engagement criteria to integrate contest/giveaway subscribers into your engaged master segment
Set Up a Way for People to Enter the Contest
First, create a list that is dedicated to the contest. Using a subscribe page or signup form, create a way for people to enter the contest. We recommend using a subscribe page, since you'll then be able to link to it in emails, etc. or embed it on your site.
In the example above, you'll notice that we added a checkbox to indicate whether a registrant accepts marketing or not. Oftentimes the leads you get from running a contest aren't as high quality as your typical leads, so asking them if they want to receive future emails gives you engagement criteria that you can use to message them later on. For example, if someone has the custom property "Accepts Marketing" equals "Yes" on their profile, you can add them to your engaged master segment.
Take a Random Sample to Choose the Winner
When it comes time for you to choose the winner of your contest, you can simply go to Manage List > Sample List Members and create a sample size of 1. This will randomly select a winner from the pool of registrants.
How to Market to Subscribers Acquired from a Contest or Giveaway
Research has shown that subscribers acquired from a contest or giveaway are less likely to make a purchase than your typical subscribers - because of this, you should consider these contacts lower quality leads and market to them differently than your typical subscribers. If you do not use a Klaviyo subscribe page and include an "Accepts Marketing" property, you can still filter these leads.
Follow these guidelines to integrate the most engaged contest/giveaway subscribers into your master segment:
- Keep your contest/giveaway subscribers in a list that is separate from your master list. If you're using Klaviyo's built-in subscribe pages to collect these contacts, you will do this inherently. If you're using a third-party integration, be sure to keep these contacts in a separate list. You can create one "master" list for all your contest/giveaway subscribers if you run these initiatives frequently.
- Create a specific welcome series for everyone added to your contest/giveaway list. This flow should contain 2-3 emails sent over the course of 7 days. Be explicit about why subscribers are receiving these emails in your content and subject lines by reminding them that they signed up for the contest/giveaway. In these emails, have a clear call to action that allows contacts to unsubscribe if they no longer want to receive marketing emails from you.
- Add conditions to your engaged master segment to include subscribers who engaged with your contest-specific welcome series. Do not email contest/giveaway subscribers who did not engage with your welcome series, as this can harm your deliverability. Add the following conditions to your master segment to include people who opened or clicked at least one email in your contest-specific welcome series flow: