You will learn
Learn how to manage images while working with email templates in Klaviyo, including uploading new images and editing existing ones.
Best practices for using images in emails
Klaviyo supports JPG, PNG, and GIF image files. In general, PNG files will display best across devices, particularly for images that contain text.
The maximum image file size supported by Klaviyo is 5MB. However, we recommend using images that are 1MB or smaller, as larger images can load slowly, leading to a poor recipient experience.
Across the web, using 72dpi resolution is best practice. Try to keep your images to 600px or less in width and less than 2000px in height, in order to balance image quality and loading speeds.
Insert an image block
The easiest way to upload images into Klaviyo is to simply drag the images from your computer into the template:
Each image you drag into a template will create a separate image block. Alternatively, you can drag an image block into the template first and then choose which image to include.
Once you place the image block, you'll be prompted to add your image by:
- Dropping an image into the block for instant upload
- Browsing your computer to find and upload an image
- Importing from a URL
- Choosing an image from your image library
- Choosing an image from your product catalog (if you are integrated with an ecommerce platform or have synced a custom catalog)
- Inserting a placeholder URL or variable sequence if you want an image to dynamically populate (for flows only)
If you are uploading an image, the maximum image size you can upload is 5 MB.
Edit an image
To edit an inserted image, click on the image in your template and navigate to the Block section on the left-hand panel. Here, you can adjust the following:
- Set the alt text for an image
- Add a hyperlink to the image
- Edit the width of the image
- Adjust the image's alignment
- Choose to stretch the image to fill the full block dimension
- Edit the image
If you click the blue Edit Image link, a photo editor window will open. Here, you can choose from an array of photo editing features ranging from resizing the image to adjusting the image's coloring. You can also draw over an image, or overlay text.
Edit image block settings
When you click on the image in your template, you will also have the option to adjust Block Styles. Here, you can:
- Change the background color of your image block
- Add a border
- Adjust padding
- Update mobile optimization settings
Images in uploaded HTML templates
For HTML templates you copy into Klaviyo (with the exception of MailChimp templates), you'll upload a zip file containing your images during the import process.
For MailChimp templates specifically, if you upload a template that contains images already loaded in MailChimp, Klaviyo will automatically copy over all of these images.
Once you've uploaded an image, you can use the Insert Image button to upload new images for that template:
If you are concerned that your images are not rendering as cleanly or crisply as you'd like, you can improve image quality.
One of the prevailing standards for improving the crispness of a rendered image in an email is to insert an image 2x the desired size and then reduce the image size in your template. There are two ways to approach this:
- Insert a large, crisp version of your image into your template, then click Edit Image and resize to your preferred dimensions
- Insert a natively larger image (i.e. 600px wide) and display at a smaller size (i.e. 300px width) using CSS; to take this approach, you'll need to insert your image into a text block and adjust the CSS source code
Klaviyo supports three different image types: JPEG, PNG, and GIF.
If you have a PSD, SVG, or another file format, you'll have to convert it to one of the above image types.
To learn more about which image types are the best for your email, click here.