A campaign is a one-time send to a group of subscribers. For example, regular newsletters, sale announcements, or promotional sends would all be sent as campaigns. A campaign can be created and sent immediately or scheduled to send at a later time.
Before you start sending, you should do the following:
- Create a list or dynamic segment of contacts you want to send to
- Make sure your organization info is accurate
- Create at least one base template that you can then leverage for future campaigns -- this can be a big time saver, since you’ll be able to swap out content as needed without worrying about formatting the email
Campaign vs. Flow
Send to a target list that you build in advance
Send one or more automated emails, curated based on certain triggers and filters
Manually created and scheduled
Triggered every time a certain behavior occurs
Example: monthly emails for a newsletter list, or a flash sale announcement to existing customers
Example: automated "Welcome Email" that sends to new subscribers immediately after they signup
Building a New Campaign
Klaviyo’s campaign wizard will guide you through the steps for creating your campaign. First, navigate to the Campaigns tab and click Create Campaign.
The campaign wizard will take you through the following three steps:
- Names & Recipients
- Message Content
- Review & Send
Choose Name & Recipients
The first screen of the wizard covers the basic settings of your campaign, who you send to, and details about how you send.
- Give your campaign a name.
- Choose an existing list or segment to send to. For example, you may want to send a campaign to your newsletter list, or you may want to send a campaign to a segment of customers that have 2 or more purchases.
- If you want to send to multiple lists or segments, select which ones you would like include or exclude. Learn more about Klaviyo's multi-list sending feature.
- Make note of the expected recipient count -- this estimate removes duplicate profiles, excluded profiles, and suppressions.
- Enable or disable smart sending.
- Enable or disable Google Analytics tracking.
Create Campaign Content
Next, you can build your template. Create a new template or choose a template from the template library.
- Double check the From, Reply-To Email, and Subject line. These are populated based on your organization info. You can also add a different reply-to email address if you would like to responses to go to a different inbox.
- Select how you would like to create campaign content:
- Rich HTML / Drag & Drop
Our email editor automatically optimizes your email for mobile and makes it easy to create complex email layouts.
- Text Based / Simple
If you'd like to send a text only email, this is the option you're looking for. This is a good option for sending an email that looks like it came directly from you rather than your organization.
- Use Template from Library
If you've already created your own template, newsletter template or snack template, this is where you should start. You can also choose a template from the Klaviyo template library.
- HTML Editor
If you have your own HTML email template you're importing, or you want to code an HTML template from scratch, this is the option to choose.
- Use the Drag and Drop editor to make changes to your design and click Save Content.
Schedule and Send Your Campaign
The third and final screen of the wizard allows you to review, schedule, and send your campaign.
At this step in the wizard, you can choose to add a variation to your email if you'd like to A/B test your campaign.
- Click Review & Send Campaign.
- Review all sections and click Schedule. Even if you plan on sending your email right away, we recommend reviewing your additional sending options.
- Schedule your campaign.
- Select when you would like to send your campaign and it will be queued and sent within a few minutes after the time you set. You can either send immediately or send at a later date and time.
NoteThe checkbox to "determine recipients based on members at send time instead of right now" does the following:
- If you check this box, Klaviyo will take a new snapshot of your target list or segment right before the email sends.
- If you do not check this box, Klaviyo will take snapshot of the target list/segment when you click Send Campaign, and send to this snapshot at send time. This means that people could be added or removed from the list between the time you schedule the campaign and when the email actually goes out and still receive the email. For this reason, it’s recommended that you always check this box.
- When scheduling your campaign, review all the available options.
- Deliver message according to recipient's timezones: If enabled, this option will send your campaign to each recipient based on his/her timezone. If recipient doesn’t have a timezone associated with their profile, we'll default to the timezone you select. Enabling this option requires a campaign to be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance.
Note that you cannot use this option when sending an A/B test.
- Batch Sending: If you would like to split your email send into smaller batches and send over a length of time. You might use this option if you’re worried that the email might drive a sudden influx of traffic that your website is not able to handle.
- New or featured
Highlight curated products that are new or in-season, or feature what's new with your company or organization.
Your business or organization is one of many out there. Explaining what makes it unique, and featuring the people "behind the brand", can build brand loyalty and community by helping your subscribers feel more connected to what you do and who you are.
- Highlight interesting content
Provide a short lead into a recent blog post, or another piece of content you’ve created, and send subscribers a link to read more. Developing your company's voice as relevant go-to source for new and interesting content in your industry is a great way to keep subscribers and customers coming back for more.
Announce a special promotion or sale your business is offering. Even better if it's exclusive to email subscribers - creating a sense or urgency and exclusivity drives action.
Learn more about campaigns by checking out the articles in our Campaigns section, or reading the recommendations below.