Check Your Current Records
Check the status of your current records using the the dig command from a terminal.
- Open up a terminal and enter the following command, replacing "<YOURDOMAIN>" with the correct value:
dig txt <YOURDOMAIN>
- Read the results from the ANSWER SECTION or the AUTHORITY SECTION. This is the type and value of your current SPF record, if you have one setup.
Note this information, as you will use it when making any of the updates described below.
Which Records to Update - Beginner (no custom domain)
For most customers, simply modifying your SPF record is enough. Get started sending and then evaluate if it’s necessary to do the advanced setup later on.
- Log in to your Klaviyo account and navigate to the deliverability records page of our API documentation. This page will populate with values (such as your domain) from your Klaviyo account.
- The SPF record section shows you the values that should be included in your SPF records. Compare these values to the current value of your SPF record.
- Through your DNS provider update your SPF record to include the correct values.
Not sure how to update your SPF record? Contact your domain registrar or search their documentation.
Which Records to Update - Advanced (custom domain)
In more complex situations, you will need to modify SPF records, DKIM and MX records.
Log in to your Klaviyo account and navigate to the deliverability records page of the Klaviyo API documentation.
Update SPF records to include the information in the SPF section. Replace YOURDOMAIN with your actual domain in all examples.
Update your DKIM Records to include the information in the DKIM section.
Update your MX Record to include the information in the MX section.
Once that is complete, login to your account and go here and validate your settings: https://www.klaviyo.com/docs/deliverability-records
If you get all green checkmarks, contact Support and we will verify the records and adjust the remaining settings on our end.
Some common errors:
- Login to your account and check here to make sure you have entered records correctly.
- If you are adding to an existing SPF record, be careful about letting it get too long. The record should be no longer than 255 characters and you can't have more than 10 entries.
- There is more than one SPF record.
- Klaviyo does not require you to edit or add a DMARC record. However, if you have an existing DMARC record or plan to add a DMARC record, please follow the instructions for updating your DNS settings for a custom domain.
NoteFollowing the advanced instructions above will remove the "sent via..." from your messages.
Tips for Where to Update your DNS Records
You can update your DNS records wherever you registered or manage your domain names.
Not all domain registration services will allow you to edit all DNS records; if you cannot update the records below, contact your DNS provider for information on how to get these records updated.
The process of editing your DNS records will depend on what domain provider you are using. We've compiled links to documentation for some common providers here: