The Information section of a Klaviyo Profile has three key areas:
- The Klaviyo-assigned First Active and Last Active dates
- The second area features any Custom Properties that have been added to the profile
- The third area - How They Found You - is created and populated by Klaviyo based on available web tracking data
First Active & Last Active
The First Active property is automatically created for each contact in Klaviyo the first time the contact proactively engages with your account. The date recorded here represents the first time the contact was "active" - i.e. opened or clicked an email, visited your website, made a purchase, etc.
A few things to note:
- If someone is uploaded manually to a Klaviyo list, this will not set the First Active date. Even if this uploaded person receives an email, the First Active property will not get created. Only if this person engages with an email, or otherwise takes an action that is tracked by Klaviyo, will the First Active date get set.
- If someone first engaged with your organization before you created your Klaviyo account, but Klaviyo was able to sync historical activity through an integration, we will set the First Active date to align with the contact's earliest recorded activity. This means it's very possible for someone's First Active date to be before his/her Profile Created date.
The Last Active date will always represent the date of the most recent recorded activity the contact has taken.
How They Found You
Klaviyo will populate a profile with How They Found You information only if Klaviyo web tracking has been setup on your website.
- (direct): Either the contact entered your site URL directly in his/her browser OR, more likely, we don't know where the person came from
- (referral): The person came from another website by clicking a link on that site
- (organic): The person either came to your site from a search engine or you'll see a custom value here if there was a "utm_campaign" set in the URL the person landed on
In the example above, you can see that this particular contact was referred from Google - meaning he/she landed on our website after clicking through a google search.
For Campaign, Medium, Content, and Term, these fields will be populated appropriately if an individual ended up on your website after clicking through a campaign where Google Analytics tracking was added to links within the email:
- Campaign, utm_campaign: Name of campaign
- Medium, utm_medium: By default, for Klaviyo, this would be email
- Term, utm_term: This is an optional UTM parameter that marketers can set to track paid search terms
- Content, utm_content: This is an optional UTM parameter that marketers can set to differentiate between ads
If you are using Klaviyo to automatically add Google Analytics tracking to links within a campaign or flow email, and someone clicks through of one of these emails and lands on your website for the first time, we will by default track Source, Campaign, and Medium:
- utm_source: Name of the list or segment the campaign was sent to
- utm_medium: Email
- utm_campaign: Campaign Name (Campaign ID)
The First Page property here will contain the URL of the first page the contact visited after navigating to your website.
Profile Updated & Profile CreatedThe Profile Created date assigned here will represent the date this person's Klaviyo profile was created. As explained above, this date may/may not align with the First Active date:
- If someone engages with your organization for the very first time and this activity is synced in real-time to Klaviyo, the First Active and Profile Created dates will be identical.
- If someone engages with your organization for the first time before you start using Klaviyo, but when you setup your Klaviyo account you sync or import historic data, we will back-date a contact's First Active date if relevant historic data is available. The Profile Created date, however, will still reflect the date this person's profile was created by Klaviyo.
- If someone is imported into Klaviyo, but we have no activity tracked for him/her, there will be a Profile Created date set, but no First Active date.